cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SW-BBK8 touchpad, I am thinking I hate it

Kipper
Level 10
OK, after reading for hours I still cannot figure out how to solve my problem.

Figured out that I have the Sentelic touchpad and have the 9177 drivers installed for it but going into the control panel under mouse I am able to open the configuration window found in its properties.

So I cannot turn the dam touchpad off while I am typing and when I look up on the screen to see my work it looks like a oriental road map (Sorry Brian) LOL.

Anyone have any words of wisdom for me????????????

Thanks in advance, I know several of you laptop folks know how to fix this operator induced problem.
15 REPLIES 15

dstrakele
Level 14
When you open Mouse Properties from Control Panel, do you see a "Finger Sensing Pad" tab? If not, or you cannot get to the "Finger Sensing Pad Configurator" (see attachment) by clicking on the "Configure" button, there is a driver problem and I recommend uninstalling the mouse driver - REBOOT - you should then see a Microsoft mouse driver in Devices. Reinstall Sentelic 9.1.7.7. ASUS SmartSense should be enabled by default to disable the mouse when typing.

If you want to configure it from the Finger Sensing Pad tab, click the "Configure" button and select "ASUS SmartSense". The "Enable ASUS SmartSense" checkbox should be CHECKED. You can adjust the size of the reactivation area. Make it smaller and/or move it to a different location if you are still moving the cursor during typing.

If this fails, do you experience erratic cursor behavior when using the touchpad? If so, you may need to get the tape and adhesive removed from the back of the touchpad or exchange your system for one that doesn't exhibit this behavior.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

JRd1st
Level 12
You must have been reading in all the wrong places. lol

Go HERE and download ATK Package 1.0.00014. Uninstall your old ATK and install the new. Restarts are probably required.

After that, you should be able to use the function key to turn TP off. Also, there should be an option in the TP Config to turn it off when a usb mouse is plugged in.

You should probably read this http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?883-Troubleshooting-ASUS-G73-Touchpad-Problems and this http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?3426-G74SX-trackpad

After all that you should either see if you can get an exchange, or send yours in for RMA service. Once the TP's get that bad, they sometimes are damaged. Get what you paid for, man ! 😉
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Yeah, I'd completely remove the Sentelic driver and start over. I have discovered, BTW, that the Sentelic touchpad functions quite well with just the generic Miscrosoft PS2 driver....folks who don't want to use the "gestures" could avoid the Sentelic driver completely, if they wanted.

Kipper, I'd suggest (after removing the existing driver) that you again try installing the Sentelic driver of your choice. 9.1.7.7 and 9.1.3.5 differ in how they implement the "disable while typing" function. You could try both and see which works best for you. (Be sure to uninstall one before installing the other.)

Kipper
Level 10
Thanks guys

I have the 9177 driver installed now and I see the sensor tab, look here.

Just uninstalled the sentelic drivers and the ATK drivers, dam if I can find the KB filter driver. Sweeper doesnt show it but I know I installed it.

Kipper wrote:
Just uninstalled the sentelic drivers and the ATK drivers, dam if I can find the KB filter driver. Sweeper doesnt show it but I know I installed it.

Just go find it in Device Manager. Right-click on it and select "Uninstall."

@Kipper: I just happened to look at your Device Manager screenshot again. You have a second mouse installed?

For the purposes of getting this Sentelic driver issue resolved, I'd suggest you remove any other rodents from your system. Only after the first one is properly trained should you consider putting another in the cage.... 😉

Also, as a word of encouragement....from your description so far, this very much sounds like a software problem, and that's a good thing. I know that makes it no less frustrating, but software problems can always be fixed. If the touchpad were exhibiting certain well-known behaviors that suggest hardware problems, I think all this driver talk would be in vain. The solution then would be to return it.

BrodyBoy wrote:
For the purposes of getting this Sentelic driver issue resolved, I'd suggest you remove any other rodents from your system. Only after the first one is properly trained should you consider putting another in the cage.... 😉

+1 I'm still laughin'..... I suspect that's why nothing happens when Kipper clicks on the "Configure" button.

EDIT: And no disrespect to you, Kipper! It was just funny the way he put it....
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

+2 lol

+2 lolol

Yea, I am trying to laugh about this too. LOL

I had to install the USB mouse for my own sanity. I will kill that rat now and try and find that KB filter thingy. I got the ATK and sentelic driver uninstalled but dam if I can located that last one.