cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G751JT - Black screen / booting problem

Pingo
Level 7
Hi guys, do you have any solution how to fix the problem. Sometimes (not always) when I turn on the computer (fresh turn on, not after restart) the screen before logging into Win 8.1 goes black (right after ROG logo pops up, it happens in the moment when the logos (to win login screen) are switching). The screen is turn on (the backlight is shinning), but it is black. The notebook is running, HDD light is on, also the sound is working (e.g. when I hit the steam key, I can hear starting the steam), but I can not see mouse pointer. Also the keyboard is working. The only solution how to solve it is either turn it off or close it (in which case, when you reopen it, the screen saver will pop).

I did some preliminary googling and looks like Win 8.1 issue (or chipset / graphic drivers). Of course, everything is updated. I also did 2-times fresh reinstalls. No help. Did you please encounter with this problem (also on other machines)? Besides the sound problem (which I hope is being fixed), it is quite frustrating to have these issues on brand new machine.

Thank you.
48 REPLIES 48

Killam0n
Level 7
I have the same issue im not sure if its windows 8 or my laptop. Its like 50/50 if it will boot with a working display or not and if not i have to hit the power button to turn off then back on.

CocoNutty
Level 7
Same here im thinking either i want a new laptop and compensation, punitive damages and all that.Or my money back plus punitive damages, there's to many threads on the net about problems with asus laptops i dont really trust asus anymore.

hmscott
Level 12
Pingo wrote:
Hi guys, do you have any solution how to fix the problem. Sometimes (not always) when I turn on the computer (fresh turn on, not after restart) the screen before logging into Win 8.1 goes black (right after ROG logo pops up, it happens in the moment when the logos (to win login screen) are switching). The screen is turn on (the backlight is shinning), but it is black. The notebook is running, HDD light is on, also the sound is working (e.g. when I hit the steam key, I can hear starting the steam), but I can not see mouse pointer. Also the keyboard is working. The only solution how to solve it is either turn it off or close it (in which case, when you reopen it, the screen saver will pop).

I did some preliminary googling and looks like Win 8.1 issue (or chipset / graphic drivers). Of course, everything is updated. I also did 2-times fresh reinstalls. No help. Did you please encounter with this problem (also on other machines)? Besides the sound problem (which I hope is being fixed), it is quite frustrating to have these issues on brand new machine.

Thank you.

Pingo, the predominant cause of these Black Screen problems have been Microsoft Updates. Try doing the F9 reset (not refresh) with the internet disabled - turn off the router or at least disconnect the Ethernet cable and turn off Wifi, so that the OS can't do updates after it installs, but default it will immediately start doing updates during and immediately after install, and if you timed it wrong (got unlucky) you may have tried your reloads too soon and the bad KB was still out there to download and Microsoft hadn't pulled it yet.

After the reload, while the internet is still off, go into the OS (set up a local login), and turn off automatic Microsoft Updates - then review updates as they become available and make sure to note which ones you install in case the problem comes back again, then you know which one(s) to uninstall.

Here is a list of google hits for the Windows 8.1 Black screen issue, find the most recent ones and note which KB's they list as bad. And for now don't install them or the replacement ones Microsoft issues, until things stabilize.

https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+8.1+black+screen+on+boot&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Please come back and let us know how that works out.

CocoNutty
Level 7
Im trying to figure out if i should waste anymore time on this like wtf.I dont care if its asus microsoft or what ever.I want a working laptop as advertised and compensation for all the time i already wasted.

Like its to the point where, if i go to the shop on saturday.If they dont fix my laptop on the spot or give me a new one plus compensation im gonna tear some **** up : )

CocoNutty wrote:
Im trying to figure out if i should waste anymore time on this like wtf.I dont care if its asus microsoft or what ever.I want a working laptop as advertised and compensation for all the time i already wasted.

CocoNutty, this isn't unusual for any make/model of hardware when the software updates cause problems, and Microsoft is fixing the problems as they come up - although it would be nice if the problems stopped coming, so perhaps a Windows laptop isn't for you right now?

There is a certain amount of patience and maturity needed to deal with these issues, and I know how frustrating it was the first few times for me, but after doing this for many years you get used to dealing with reality vs. the mind's eye view of perfection.

If you aren't ready to accept those frustrations then return it and do something else.

But, if you want to work through the problems, then we are here to help. 🙂

CocoNutty
Level 7
Maturity ? false advertising plain and simple they dident tell me all those things when i bought the laptop.I gave up trying, just gonna go to the store on saturday.I know none of the employees can help it.But im not gonna leave the store in peace if they dont give me my money back or give me a new or fixed laptop plus compensation.

(edit im not sure if its because of the windows its been updated for awhile now so it could be asus to)

CocoNutty wrote:
Maturity ? false advertising plain and simple they dident tell me all those things when i bought the laptop.I gave up trying, just gonna go to the store on saturday.I know none of the employees can help it.But im not gonna leave the store in peace if they dont give me my money back or give me a new or fixed laptop plus compensation.
(edit im not sure if its because of the windows its been updated for awhile now so it could be asus to)

CocoNutty, I hope you get your money back 🙂

You aren't going to get compensation beyond your money back from the purchase. Just like any other faulty product the stores responsibility is to make good on the sale by returning your $, which might include a restocking fee - so be nice to those people.

They can require a restocking fee - it's likely listed on your receipt.

If you are nice, and explain it is a failure not a dissatisfaction causing you to return the laptop they will likely waive the restocking fee.

If they suggest giving you another one, explain the problem seems to be with a lot of units, and you don't want to take the chance on getting another bad one, suggest they open it up and you try it together, or tell them you don't want to go through this waste of time again.

But, don't ask for compensation, it could set the transaction off in the wrong direction.

Good luck!

CocoNutty
Level 7
Hey im a nice guy i dont attack blind souljah's : ) information is the key.But i will ask for compensation because i feel entitled to one after my phonebill and all the time and effort i spend trying to fix it.I will let you know how things went.

CocoNutty wrote:
Hey im a nice guy i dont attack blind souljah's : ) information is the key.But i will ask for compensation because i feel entitled to one after my phonebill and all the time and effort i spend trying to fix it.I will let you know how things went.

CocoNutty, try to think of it from the point of view of the business owner, they didn't make the laptop, they followed state and government laws in selling it to you, and provide for return under those laws. There is no law covering compensation for lost time. You are just going to confuse the situation if you ask.

If you are a good customer, and have spent a lot of money there, they will likely give you a break on the price of the *next* laptop you get from them; you can even mention that during the return, that will make it go smoother as well for when you get the next laptop - remind them of the previous return.

But, out and out payment for lost time isn't going to happen 🙂