+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help needed - Maximus IV Extreme Z - motherboard not powering down completely?

ROG Member Splitz07 +10

Help needed - Maximus IV Extreme Z - motherboard not powering down completely?

Hi all,

New to this forum. Hoping to get some advice.

I just got a new PC with the Maximus IV Extreme Z mother board.

All was fine till yesterday night when I started noticing that after powering down my computer, several of the onboard LED/switch lights remain on.

Firstly, the START and RESET button lights are on.

Secondly, the BIOS indicator LED, Bluetooth indicator LED also remain on. The ROG Logo on the motherboard also fades on and off.

This did not happen the first few days and the motherboard was totally dark after shutting down, no lights on at all.

The only modification I did a couple days ago was to run a script to make windows save all default user and program data files to a secondary drive. (boot up is from SSD). I do not believe that this should have created any problem.

Is there any way to fix this?

Please share any advice you may have. Thanks!

ROG Member worldcitizen1919 +10

Since I got mine a couple of weeks ago certain lights are always on while the power supply is turned on. I think that's just standard default mode when your power supply is on. Only when I turn the power off do all lights go off. I think that this is normal. The same with all the motherboards I've had. There is always some led light on with the power on. It's like your standby light on your TV.

ROG Member Splitz07 +10

Quote Originally Posted by worldcitizen1919 View Post
    Since I got mine a couple of weeks ago certain lights are always on while the power supply is turned on. I think that's just standard default mode when your power supply is on. Only when I turn the power off do all lights go off. I think that this is normal. The same with all the motherboards I've had. There is always some led light on with the power on. It's like your standby light on your TV.
    I don't think that it is the issue of the mobo always staying on.

As per the user manual that comes with the mobo: "The motherboard comes with a power-on switch that lights up to indicate that the system is ON, in sleep-mode or in soft-off mode. This is a reminder that you should shut down the system and unplug the power cable...."

This leads me to believe that the system is not completely shutting down but entering a "soft-off" mode. The manual also states that you should "shut down the system" then "unplug the power cable" So it pretty much sounds to me like it is an issue of the mobo not shutting down complete.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Could it be due to the BIOS settings?

Thanks all!

TeamROG Moderator xeromist +100 xeromist +100 xeromist's Avatar

This is normal. When you are shut down there is still power to the board so various lights including the power and the pulsing ROG logo will remain on. I don't remember if there is a setting to disable the pulsing though. It's never bothered me.

ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z Intel 2600K DangerDen cooling 8GB G.Skill Trident
    ASUS GTX670 Patriot PyroSE SSD Antec Signature 650 PSU Antec Mini P180 [ ASUS G73JH ]

Folding@Home - Join us!

ROG Member Splitz07 +10

I managed to find out how to actually get all the lights off...

Enter BIOS > Advanced Controls > APM > Enable EuP Ready option

It cuts power to certain items to meet the Energy Efficiency Requirements or something. In this case, all the LEDs and Lights are switched off as well when powering down the computer.

ROG Member worldcitizen1919 +10

Thank for that Splitz07. I really appreciate it when people have the courtesy of posting the solution instead of just saying they found it and walk away. Does it affect anything else? I only usually turn of the power supply because we get storms sometimes and once lightning hit my modem and destroyed it. Since then I am more careful.

ROG Member Splitz07 +10

Well posting the solutions help others who have the same issues.

It only turns off the LED lights but keeps enough power to start the motherboard on power on.

Prior to this, I was resorting to turning off the PSU but the problem is that 20% of the time when I turned it on I would trip the circuit breakers to my room. Could be my PSU which is 1200 watts and the initial draw of this amount from the PSU before it regulates to the actual consumption of the system that causes the trip.. =|

+ Reply to Thread