cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G550JK / GTX850M GPU Tweak/Overclock Question ?

Jessie2012
Level 7
hello rog community

i tried to monitor the overclocking that shoud be done by the gpu tweak program for notebooks... it seems like nothing is changed at all...

when i turn on the gpu overclock in the gpu tweak softwear nothing happens.. still GPU CLOCK 902MHz + MEMORY 1001MHz

is anyone else experiencing the same problem ?

11 REPLIES 11

Edweird
Level 10
Jessie2012 wrote:
hello rog community

i tried to monitor the overclocking that shoud be done by the gpu tweak program for notebooks... it seems like nothing is changed at all...

when i turn on the gpu overclock in the gpu tweak softwear nothing happens.. still GPU CLOCK 902MHz + MEMORY 1001MHz

I believe you may have the same issue as described in this thread.
I have the same issue on my G751JY / GTX 980M.

I took hmscott's advice and reverted to 344.75/344.80 drivers and GPU Tweak started working for me. I have the GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards version, you need the one for Laptops, as you are using right now. (As your laptop works with Optimus.)

I guess it's simply a matter of waiting for a NVidia release that addresses this issue.

hmscott
Level 12
Jessie2012, in addition to OC not working on 347.09, when the OC is working the GPU/memory clocks won't run up to full speed until the load demands it. Idle speeds, or partially loaded speeds will be less than the maximum. You likely won't see the top speeds in monitoring software except after running a game that taxes the GPU - so turn on logging to see all the steps in between for the GPU/memory clocks.

Also, you may need to enable the 3D settings for performance with the Nvidia control panel to get and sustained highest performance:

Set here to use advanced settings:

Set here for global settings

Make sure the settings for the specific app/game don't override global settings

The smaller laptops have less volume for cooling, so watch your temps to make sure you aren't CPU Thermal Throttling, that will also reduce the GPU clocks as the GPU is starved for throughput by the Thermally Throttled CPU. hwinfo64 works well for this.

hwinfo64 download
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Please let us know what you find 🙂

Jessie2012
Level 7
Jessie2012 wrote:
hello rog community

Hi Edweird

i tryd that what u have suggested... i was on the support page for this notebook and downloaded the nvidia drivers that was provided...( 332.35)

after that i checkd again if the asus gpu tweak softwear boosts the gpu... i noticed this ( see picture )

Core Clock gets boosted now... but Memory Clock still the same .... is this normal ? or shoud memory clock allso get a boost ?

You may have gone too far back with the drivers. Try 344.80/75 as suggested. I don't know if the overclock would add anything to the memory but then why would they list the memory speed otherwise. In the other GPU Tweak version the Core and Memory clocks are your main 2 options to tweak.
Generally, Core overclocking seems to be easier to achieve - memory clock tweaking can cause instabilities and visual artefacts.

However, to be fully sure exactly what is happening with your GPU and to put it under the required stress in order to test frequencies, use this little thing you may have missed:

It creates a render job for you GPU to munch on.

Here is what HWINFO86 gives me (GTX 980M) on a +135MHz core OC and 1500(6000)MHz memory clock. All is as expected. Get the suggested drivers and see what values you get when loading the GPU.

Edweird wrote:
You may have gone too far back with the drivers. Try 344.80/75 as suggested. I don't know if the overclock would add anything to the memory but then why would they list the memory speed otherwise. In the other GPU Tweak version the Core and Memory clocks are your main 2 options to tweak.
Generally, Core overclocking seems to be easier to achieve - memory clock tweaking can cause instabilities and visual artifacts.

However, to be fully sure exactly what is happening with your GPU and to put it under the required stress in order to test frequencies, use this little thing you may have missed:...

It creates a render job for you GPU to munch on.

Here is what HWINFO86 gives me (GTX 980M) on a +135MHz core OC and 1500(6000)MHz memory clock. All is as expected. Get the suggested drivers and see what values you get when loading the GPU.

Edweird, thanks, I had forgotten about that mini render tool, actually it is not bad at getting temps up as well as clocks. It is probably enough of a load to test OC settings as well, and then test at higher GPU loads for a finish.

It would be nice to know if the Asus Tweak Tool for Laptops does increase the memory clock, as I don't believe it has in the past, it is only a GPU clock increase. That is why others turn to running both Asus Tweak Tool and MSI Afterburner, to get the Full Fan Control and the maximum flexibility in OC'ing the GPU.

hmscott wrote:
Edweird, thanks, I had forgotten about that mini render tool, actually it is not bad at getting temps up as well as clocks. It is probably enough of a load to test OC settings as well, and then test at higher GPU loads for a finish.

I know, right? I'm not sure why they tucked away such a convenient and easy to use tool like that. It's literally a "does this work" button.

And those ARE OC settings up there. 😄

hmscott wrote:

It would be nice to know if the Asus Tweak Tool for Laptops does increase the memory clock, as I don't believe it has in the past, it is only a GPU clock increase. That is why others turn to running both Asus Tweak Tool and MSI Afterburner, to get the Full Fan Control and the maximum flexibility in OC'ing the GPU.

Thanks for Information hmscott

i had contact with asus support ( US + TURKEY ) and asked them if the asus gpu tweak for notebooks boosting the memory clock for mobile gpus ?

ASUS US Support and ASUS TURKEY support told me that ---> asus gpu tweak for laptops is NOT boosting the memory clock ! and as u wirte here it have never boosted the memory clock in the past.

---> i have aked them also why asus gpu tweak for desktop is not working ( ERROR MESSAGE BIOS LOAD FAIL ) they told me that there is no accses to bios on this notebook as it can not communicate with it...

Jessie2012
Level 7
i downloaded / installed and tested now different drivers from nvidia the suggested ones also not boosting the memory clock... gpu tweak for laptops only boosts core clock 😕

gpu tweak for graphic cards is not working for me because when i try to open it a message appears that bios load have faild...

Jessie2012 wrote:
i downloaded / installed and tested now different drivers from nvidia the suggested ones also not boosting the memory clock... gpu tweak for laptops only boosts core clock 😕

gpu tweak for graphic cards is not working for me because when i try to open it a message appears that bios load have faild...

As mentioned above GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards will not work for you because you have Optimus enabled. Ah well. A boost is a boost.
But do try MSI Afterburner or the other alternatives as hmscott suggests. Maybe you'll get what you're looking for.