cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY-DH71 Windows 8 key

JAYGEN
Level 7
Hey guys, got my G751JY-DH71 the other day so I decided to erase all partitions (including recovering) and do a clean install of Windows 8. The problem is I cannot locate my key in the BIOS using rweverything but it doesnt show the MSDM tab. Where and how can I get my Windows 8 key?? 😞
7 REPLIES 7

fidelity101
Level 7
I was told by Tech support that the Windows 8 key is built into the firmware of the BIOS. They said the code can not be viewed but Windows accepts it when trying to do an installation. Have you tried installing windows yet to see if the key appears or if you're prompted for the code?

yes, I downloaded Windows 8 from Microsoft, installed it and it prompted for a key, so I used a generic key I found online to complete the install. Now I would like to activate it with my key but not sure how, thanks

fidelity101
Level 7
Thank you toronto699! I have a G75VW and I couldn't figure out how to find that original key...ASUS tech support couldn't help me either so it's nice to know that it's possible so I can eventually reinstall windows 8 as I lost the recovery partition.

fidelity101 wrote:
Thank you toronto699! I have a G75VW and I couldn't figure out how to find that original key...ASUS tech support couldn't help me either so it's nice to know that it's possible so I can eventually reinstall windows 8 as I lost the recovery partition.

fidelity101 if u reinstall W8 with the method in the link please let us know how it works out. I did it with how the link suggested worked fine for me, I also got my Windows Key with "rweverything.com" in the link

fidelity101
Level 7
I had originally backed up my recovery partition before swapping the primary drive on the G75VW but when I went to restore that partition to the new drive and do a re-installation, it refused to find the recovery partition no matter what I tried. So now that rweverything gave me the windows key I needed, I should be able to install windows 8 again (assuming the key gets accepted). That should fix the annoyingly slow internet issue with windows 7.

I'll report back once I do the upgrade.

fidelity101
Level 7
Sorry for the dealy Toronto...to many other things keep getting in the way. 🙂

I'm actively in the process of upgrading my G75VW from windows 7 to windows 8 and I found the product key which was step one. Now I'm downloading all three different ISO files from microsoft to determine whether I have windows 8.1, 8.1N, or 8.1S...not sure why microsoft ramped up the difficulty level for windows 8 but it's definitely more time consuming. 🙂 I know it's not the pro version, so that limits me to 3 possible windows 8.1 home edition options.

I'll report back on which version it is and whether it works properly.

Updates: Trying to create a USB drive within the microsoft software failed...so now I'm redownloading windows 8 as an ISO and using http://rufus.akeo.ie/ to create a USB drive.

Windows 8.1n ISO didn't accept the product key.
Windows 8.1 ISO is not asking for a key...not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing yet. As I continue in the upgrade, I'm presented with an option to Keep user files only or nothing.

For those that want to use UEFI: Make sure you create a bootable USB drive using RUFUS and make sure you select GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer.

Installation complete!!! Windows activated!!!

Lessons learned: Make sure you pick the first option which is windows 8.1, not windows 8.1N or windows 8.1S. Once you have the correct version selected, it doesn't even ask for the key and continues the installation...works great!