Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Nvidia for Laptop Display instead of Intel

Serzet
Level 7
Current condition

Title says it all.
I have already gone into "manage 3d settings" and set the nvidia card as the default for games; however, I can't use it for the laptop display.
Help plz.

Also already tried going into BIOS but there is no chipset option to disable intel.

My laptop model is G750JZ-DS71
25 REPLIES 25

hmscott
Level 12
Serzet wrote:
Current condition

Title says it all.
I have already gone into "manage 3d settings" and set the nvidia card as the default for games; however, I can't use it for the laptop display.
Help plz.
Also already tried going into BIOS but there is no chipset option to disable intel.
My laptop model is G750JZ-DS71

Serzet, the little graphic is telling you that the output of the Intel GPU is feeding the Display - and it is correct. You can't change that. The same for the external displays.

The only thing you can change is where the rendering occurs, sometimes it does it automatically, sometimes you need to use the 3D settings to fix the usage to the Nvidia GPU, sometimes you can't change the rendering to the Nvidia GPU and the rendering and video output handling is all done via the Intel GPU.

Even though rendering can be done on the Nvidia GPU, all of the display handling - resolution / refresh / color balance / brightness / contrast / etc are all done through the Intel GPU and Intel GPU Control panel.

It is a physical wiring thing, not a software thing. The output of the Intel GPU is directly connected to the internal / external display. In some other Optimus implementations you can switch using Nvidia or Intel/Optimus.

If you can still return your G750JZ, you can get the G751JT/JY/JL - all new ROG laptops without Optimus. Or, you could get a nice used G750JW/JX/JH - those ROG laptops don't hve Optimus either.

The new G750JY has Optimus.

hmscott wrote:
Serzet, the little graphic is telling you that the output of the Intel GPU is feeding the Display - and it is correct. You can't change that. The same for the external displays.

The only thing you can change is where the rendering occurs, sometimes it does it automatically, sometimes you need to use the 3D settings to fix the usage to the Nvidia GPU, sometimes you can't change the rendering to the Nvidia GPU and the rendering and video output handling is all done via the Intel GPU.

Even though rendering can be done on the Nvidia GPU, all of the display handling - resolution / refresh / color balance / brightness / contrast / etc are all done through the Intel GPU and Intel GPU Control panel.

It is a physical wiring thing, not a software thing. The output of the Intel GPU is directly connected to the internal / external display. In some other Optimus implementations you can switch using Nvidia or Intel/Optimus.

If you can still return your G750JZ, you can get the G751JT/JY/JL - all new ROG laptops without Optimus. Or, you could get a nice used G750JW/JX/JH - those ROG laptops don't hve Optimus either.

The new G750JY has Optimus.

is it possible to change the physical wiring to make it so the display is connected to the Nvidia card?

Serzet wrote:
is it possible to change the physical wiring to make it so the display is connected to the Nvidia card?

Serzet, no.

hmscott wrote:

What does this mean in the end? Does it mean that the gameplay is worst and that it could be better without Optimus? Why have they done that?

merceg100 wrote:
What does this mean in the end? Does it mean that the gameplay is worst and that it could be better without Optimus? Why have they done that?

Optimus should utilize the Nvidia GPU for games and it goes to sleep when not needed. It's a power optimization feature. There have been bugs where Optimus didn't work as intended so new driver releases have fixes. If you find a specific issue then keep looking for driver updates until a fix is released. For the most part you should see it working correctly and performance will be comparable to a dedicated GPU. Also remember that mobile GPUs are the performance equivalent of a low end desktop GPU so some games will not run on high settings on a laptop.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Optimus should utilize the Nvidia GPU for games and it goes to sleep when not needed. It's a power optimization feature. There have been bugs where Optimus didn't work as intended so new driver releases have fixes. If you find a specific issue then keep looking for driver updates until a fix is released. For the most part you should see it working correctly and performance will be comparable to a dedicated GPU. Also remember that mobile GPUs are the performance equivalent of a low end desktop GPU so some games will not run on high settings on a laptop.

think your confusing cpu with gpu.

Wr3ckloose wrote:
think your confusing cpu with gpu.

Which part isn't clear? I can try to rephrase it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

merceg100 wrote:

merceg100, that's a great question, one I have asked many times. The requirement was actually quite simple. On Battery run the Intel GPU, and on AC run the Nvidia/ATI GPU, but instead Nvidia Optimus put the Intel iGPU front and foremost - right in the video path as the default rendering engine. Windows knows nothing of anything other than the default GPU - which Intel defaulted to their iGPU - even though it was the low power low performance element in the system, and the iGPU shares the die carrier with the CPU.

The best you can do is to escape the mess, and stop trying to justify it's use, as many with an Optimus laptop try to do, until it bites them in the ass, and then they are complaining about how much it sucks and how can they turn it off... you can't turn Optimus off on the Asus ROG Optimus laptops.

So, rather than entering into a regretful situation, avoid it and find a laptop without Optimus.

Don't even get one that Optimus can be "turned off" in the BIOS - all that does is stop the rendering, not the iGPU.

Alienware was building 120hz 3D laptops without Optimus at the same time as making 60hz models with Optimus that can be turned off in the BIOS - because the iGPU would still in the path mucking up 3D / 120hz capability Alienware had to make a motherboard completely without the Intel iGPU / Optimus in the video chain.

Alienware 17 with 120Hz 3D Display Has No Integrated Graphics or Optimus - GTX 780M i7-4800MQ Laptop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ3IRvCkllg

There are lots of how to videos on Youtube on how to get Optimus working for you, various specific games, etc. Here is a search, try additional worded searches for which specific problem you are ha
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fix+intel+nvidia+optimus

Intel could have had a clear path through with their iGPU being used for low power battery use, with the Nvidia GPU switched in for AC use, but Nvidia Optimus made it a disaster instead of a viable solution.

It's sad that something we need, lower power graphics for long battery usage, has made a mess of both battery and ac usage in the form of Optimus, keeping the Nvidia/ATI GPU from being fully available.

Fortunately Asus has decided to continue shipping non-Optimus ROG laptops, the G751JT and G751JY. 🙂

If you have trouble getting specific games working on the Nvidia GPU, where even forcing them via the Nvidia Control panel or right click on the app to select the Nvidia GPU doesn't work, there is an app that can help: Nvidia Inspector.

NVIDIA Inspector Download version 1.9.7.3
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html

Nvidia Inspector - Optimus issues
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nvidia+inspector+optimus

Nvidia Inspector - general search
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nvidia+inspector+

Nvidia Inspector works for non-Optimus performance issues too 🙂

beatc
Level 7
Does this mean we can't play games with the dedicated gpu on external display?