cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of Box OC CPU

Pantz
Level 7
Hello Everyone, i have not been in this Forum in over a year, and i have been running my FX 8320 for a year now on default out of box settings, and every thing is running great, i am guessing the BIOS is set to auto Everything,

Today i went into the BIOS and tried to duplicate my Out of box Setting Manually, and it seems that i cannot plug in the default setting for CPU / NB / that is showing in the BIOS. am i missing something ? i am in the MANUAL mode.

What is preferred for OCing, Changing the Multiplier or NB / Frequency ?

also my temps are going from 42 degrees to 54 Degrees with very little load, is this normal ?

my CPU Cooler should be able to keep my CPU pretty cool no ?

Thanks in Advance
AMD 8320 Black edition @ 3.8Mhz 3.5 Stock
8 Gigs Corsair Vengance 1886 MHZ Stock 1336
C:\ Samsung SSD 120 Gigs Genuine WIN 7 X64
Zalman CPNS 10 Extreme CPU Cooler
Corsair TX 750 PSU
EVGA GTX 750 SSC
Asus Sabertoothe 990 FX R2.0 AM2+/AM2 AMD MB
HITACHI 1TB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
5 REPLIES 5

elesde
Level 10
Hello there!

Setting all Bios parameters manually can be a bit tricky on FX CPUs so don't feel bad 🙂
There are plenty of overclocking guides out there that can help you with what to set manually and what to leave on auto. Personally I am very fond of the guide at overclock.net for Asus boards: http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard
On FX chips most people try to find the maximum core overclock fist by upping the multiplier manually and leaving things like FSB/NB/RAM clock at stock. Afterwards you can decide if you want to use overclock + turbo or just keep the maximum clock for all cores under load.

When upping the FSB (base clock) like in your screenshots be careful not to push the NB / HT / RAM clock too high since they are all affected by the change. NB & HT are especially sensitive, they don't overclock very high on Piledriver CPUs.

Your CPU cooler should be adequate for moderate overclocking depending on the fan speed and the case cooling. Those chips do tend to get quite hot especially with all cores loaded. By looking at the SSD and mainboard temps I would say you either live in a quite warm place already or the case needs some additional fans 😄

Pantz
Level 7
Thanks For the Reply, i am in the UK, you would think my temps would be much better, lol, I am going to transfer my current system into a new CASE Corsair Carbide Series 200R Compact ATX Computer Case - Black.
and use the fans from the old case ( corsair AF 120 ) along witht the 2 Fans in the new case, to see if i can improve the cooling.

i am going to set everything back to the Factory setting, FSB/NB/RAM clock at stock, and see if i can get to a stable 3.8 buy using the multiplier, if i can figure out how to manually set the multiplier
Thanks in advance
Corsair TX 750 PSU
EVGA GTX 750 SSC

Hello Everyone, well its 2 Steps forward and one step backwards, i was finally able to figure out how to OC by using the Multiplier and reduce the temp substantially ( my CPU HS was at default ) i am now running at 3.8Mhz, i have yet to stress test, because i just found our that i need to Update my BIOS for my MB and SSD,

I am guessing i should do all available update before continuing ?

and will the BIOS updates and SSD Firmware Update wipe out all my hard work ??

Thanks in advance4593545936
Corsair TX 750 PSU
EVGA GTX 750 SSC

Hello Everyone,Thanks for the Reply ,well i went ahead with Both BIOS updates, just to be Safe. ( both updates were sucsessful ), i then did all the other avaialble updades for the Motherboard.and they were also sucessful,

I then booted into the BIOS ant choose : performance setting , and then manually set up the Multilpier to X19, and tried to booted into Windows.and got the boot manager missing error, went back into the BIOS and Choose My SSD to boot from and was then able to get into windows,

origanlly my SSD had the UEFI Label across the SSD when i initally installed it, now the UEFI label seem to be missing fron the SSD in the BIOS, ( i am still havind issues setting up the SSD to be the second boot device, after the CD rom )

i then did a limited stress test (15 Mins ) and it seem to have Held up pretty well @ 3.8 MHZ with temps not passing 45C on Core temp and 52 on AIDA.

i am going to save and run this setting for a while before attempting 4.0 Mhz

Thanks for everyone Help4597345974
Corsair TX 750 PSU
EVGA GTX 750 SSC

elesde
Level 10
Glad to hear it worked out so far.
With only 1.2875V at 3.8GHz there is plenty of room for higher clocks at higher voltages 😄 (assuming you did not go for manual over voltage).