cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Gaming and 3D Modelling Rig

branhar
Level 7
Here is the set up that I plan on going with.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_RD
Motherboard: Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME EATX
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400
Storage: Samsung XP941 Series 512GB M.2-2280 SSD
Video Card: 2-Way SLI MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr
Case: Rosewill THOR V2
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V

I am considering (2) possible changes to the set up above:
1. Going with 64GB of DDR-2400 (matched).

2. 3-Way SLI with the MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr. I'm not seeing a big gain here since it will be running at 16/8/8.

Anyone out there want to offer a little advice?
11 REPLIES 11

Nate152
Hello branhar and welcome

You chose the best of the best for your build and it's looking good.

The lane speeds really have no performance benefits, running at x16 vs x8 will give the same performance. What will determine if you need another 980 is your monitor. if you have or are getting a 4k monitor then the 3rd 980 will benefit. The higher the resolution the more the 3rd 980 will come into play. I'm not sure how well the twin frozr cards will cool in 3 way sli. If going 3 way sli you might want to look at the blower style 980's.

it's not a good idea to mix and match ram kits, to avoid problems and headaches get a single kit of the capacity you want. You could save some if you went with G.Skill Ripjaws 4.

Here's a 64GB kit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231832&cm_re=ripjaws_4_64GB-_-20-231-832-_-...

Thanks for looking at the build.

No argument on the memory. Getting a matched and tested set is the only way to go for memory.

More than likely I'll be going with (3) monitors. I'm waiting to see the how the new Acer XG270HU stacks up to the ROG Swift in ability and cost before I buy though. Based on your comment, I may need to look a little closer at the 3-Way SLI configuration.

Antronman
Level 10
No, no, no, no, f*ck no.

I understand that many people don't understand/are unwilling to spend extra money on professional 3D graphic design cards, but if you get serious about it at all you can't buy gaming cards. It is one of the worst misconceptions I see. The closest in pricepoint to the GTX 980 is K2200, up from that for $1000 is the K5200. Firepro cards are not worth considering.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Nate152
if you are going with three monitors and want to use G-Sync, you will have to go with three 980's.

Antronman does have a point, but if your building your rig mostly for gaming then yeah the 980's are what to get. The quadro cards are not gaming cards.

3D modelling is a hobby for me. It's fun and relaxing, but it isn't $2,500 per card worth of relaxation.

Specifically referencing the Titan Black and Titan Z cards.

Nate152
The titan black does have 6GB of vram which might come into play with 3d modeling, but gaming performance the 980 wins.

The titan z 12GB is a dual gpu card, while it is a 12GB card it's 6GB for each gpu, so in a sense it's really only a 6GB card. You can only use 2 titan - z's in sli which = quad sli. You can use 3 titan - z's just not in sli.

The titan z is essentially two titan blacks in one card.

Sorry, I was just joking about the Titans there. The (3) 980s will fit my needs.

I am looking forward to playing some of the newer graphically intense games like Witcher 3 and Elite Dangerous. I should be more than capable of playing those 2 on their highest settings.

Nate152
yeah with three 980's you could play anything maxed out.

The ROG swift is 2560 x 1440 resolution and 144 hertz. You will be running one 980 on each monitor and will get good framerates. I doubt you will get 144FPS with max settings, but you will easily be over 60FPS on all three screens.

Have a look at this, this is with three 780ti's which have 3GB of Vram. The 980's have 4GB. He says a 6GB card might benefit but I can confirm that even at 4k 4GB is enough as long as you don't use AA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTZCBi0h7M8

branhar
Level 7
That was an awesome review and demo.

This is the 1st time that I will be building a rig with this much power. In the past I have tried to stay in the $1,500 range. So, some modifications on the way I build and think really have to be made.

Now I need to take a step back and look at cooling again. The MSI 980s are very similar to the Asus 980s; a radiator with dual fans. However, the new Asus 980 Poseidon comes ready for liquid cooling and still maintains the cooling fans. The tests on the Poseidon vs. standard 980s also look promising. It could be fun to add liquid cooling. On the flip side, I bet it could really be a pain.

You have been very helpful. Thank You.