cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751J Sound Crackling Issue: How to reproduce it, and prevent it. (Yes, I fixed it)

falkenjeff
Level 7
(If there is already another fix for this - perhaps a driver update, please let me know. Otherwise, read on)

So when I first got my G751 (Christmas), I noticed various issues where the sound would start crackling, looked on these forums, and found multiple threads about this issue, with no actual fixes found. I also did a Google search, and found out that MULTIPLE laptops (like, a lot of them) for multiple brands (not just ASUS) have this issue. It is a Realtek driver issue. This issue will happen with all speakers, whether the laptop's build in speakers, headphones, or other external speakers.

So, what is the cause, how do you reproduce it, and, more importantly, how do you fix it?

There are actually 2 different issues. The first one is easy to fix:

Issue #1) The sound card turns off after a certain amount of time of not being in use, and turns back on and "cracks" when a sound is played.

How to reproduce: have no sound playing for like 10-30 seconds. Then play a sound. CRACK.

How to fix:

Sort of follow the instructions in this link. I say "sort of", because the link contains invalid information.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/fix-for-realtek-sound-popping-and-or-high-pitched-tone-squea...

The link says:

"Enabled - enables the power management. Default is 0. Set to 1 to disable and always prevent these noises."

The default is actually 1. You want to set it to 0 to prevent these noises. Here is a screenshot of my registry, which has the noises disabled correctly:

Also note: our machines do not use "Realtek\RAVCpl64" like the link suggests, they use "Realtek\RtkNGUI64" (or at least mine does).

So with this simple registry edit, this first crackling issue is fixed (and I guess a reboot - make sure to use restart or shift+shutdown, because a regular shutdown in Windows 8 just hibernates the machine, and does not reset the CPU cycle).

----

Issue #2) Your speakers will randomly start making constant, persisting crackling, which will progressively get worse (until it gets to the point where it is crackling like every 5 seconds), and it will continue crackling until you restart or do a shift+shutdown.

Now, for troubleshooting purposes, I am first going to mention the 2 things that I did that did NOT fix the issue. Why? Because I haven't bothered to re-enable these settings, so if you follow my fix (which will follow), and it DOESN'T work, then come back to this part and try doing these 2 things first. And let me know, so I can edit and fix this guide (and will know to never re-enable these settings myself).

1) Followed the instructions in this link to "disable all sound effects" http://corey.degrandchamp.com/2010/11/25/fixed-windows-7-sound-popping-cracking-skipping/

2) In the same Windows "playback devices" menu, I disabled all the speakers I wasn't using, as well as all the "recording devices" (since I don't use them). So my "LG TV", "Realtek Digital Output", "Microphone", and "Stereo Mix" are ALL disabled, leaving only "Speakers" enabled (I use headphones plugged into the audio slot on the laptop).

Okay, so what DID work? What was the cause of the entire issue?

This took me WEEKS to figure out folks. WEEKS. Up until then, I was literally just restarting my machine every 4-6 hours when the crackling would start, to get rid of it.

The cause? *Drumroll*

"GPU Tweak"

Yeah. That thing that tells you which video card optimus is using (intel or geforce), how much your geforce is being overclocked when in use, your fan speeds, etc? That is what causes the issue. If you just let it run in the tray like normal, nothing happens, it does its job, it switches video cards and overclocks like normal, and there are no sound issues. If you have obsessive compulsive disorder, and need to click it to make sure optimus is switching to your geforce video card properly, then BAM, the sound issues will start.

How to reproduce:

Step 1) Right-click this thing in the image below (circled in red), and click "open"

Step 2) The following screen will pop up

CONGRATULATIONS! You will now have sound issues until you reboot your machine.

How to fix (prevent) this issue:

Step 1) Never EVER EVER EVER click the thing in the image below:

CONGRATULATIONS! Your laptop will run perfectly fine, with no sound issues, no popping, no crackling. GPU Tweak will run in the background like it always does. You do not need to click it and check up on it. It works. Your games will run fine.

Another thing to note: I do not use the "ASUS Gaming Center". (image below)

I DO NOT know if this also triggers the sound crackling issue, as I do not use it, and therefore have not tested it. It has a similar big red ASUS window like GPU tweak does. It even contains a thing that tells you if GPU Tweak is on or off, so it MAY be connected to it. When you are troubleshooting this issue, do NOT open the gaming center. When you have fixed the issue, and are sure it is fixed, feel free to open the gaming center and see if it causes the issue as well. If it does, let me know in this thread so I can properly update this guide, and then NEVER use the gaming center in the future.

You're welcome.

Feel free to spread the word. I'm probably not going to bother looking up those countless other threads and posting this guide in them. At least not for a little while.

Also note: this is not related to the "subwoofer issue" I saw posted on the front page of the forums. Like I said, I use headphones. I have therefore never run into a "subwoofer issue".

Uptime: almost 4 days without rebooting, no sound issues 😄

.........brb restarting my computer, because I just opened GPU Tweak to take those screenshots. LOL

Edit by cl-Albert 3/20/15: Since this thread is getting a bit long, thought we should close it and reply at the new thread below. Thanks.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59248-G751-Sound-Crackling-Thread-(The-one-thread-to-rule-...
44 REPLIES 44

falkenjeff
Level 7
Oh good, a moderator finally approved this.

NitroX
Level 10
Is this a general thing ? Because I don't seem to notice any crackling noise . Not when I'm using my Logitech G51, nor the laptop speakers.

th3l34sh
Level 7
JT/JY Users don't have Optimus, just saying.

Volador
Level 7
Thanks Falkenjeff, the first fix confirmed working. It required the Shift-Shutdown combo but after that no more crackling in headphones.

ReeveJ
Level 7
I've installed the newest sound drivers (resolving the subwoofer issue) and modified the registry entry under 'Enabled' to '0,' but the crackle just before and after a sound is played continues. I'm certain that it's the Power Management problem, but I'm pretty much at wits end by this point- I've tried just about everything. Also yes, I have tried restarting and powering off the system several times.

Any ideas?

ReeveJ wrote:
I've installed the newest sound drivers (resolving the subwoofer issue) and modified the registry entry under 'Enabled' to '0,' but the crackle just before and after a sound is played continues. I'm certain that it's the Power Management problem, but I'm pretty much at wits end by this point- I've tried just about everything. Also yes, I have tried restarting and powering off the system several times.

Any ideas?

1) Bios version is up to date ? Latest version is 305. If yes, then try older version like 304 and 303 and see if it works.
2) Chipset driver is up to date ? If not, here is the link https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=20775〈=eng&ProdId=816.
3) Uninstall all other software like ASUS Gaming center, ASUS GameFirst, and all things you don't actually need.
4) Try also to boot the laptop from a new HDD/SSD with a clean windows install and see if the cracking is still there.
5) If you haven't had this problem form the beginning and it just started after a while, and you say that it is a PowerManagement problem then make a PowerManagement reset by restarting your laptop and when the RoG logo appears press on the power button for 5 to 10 secs until the battery led flashes, turns off and lights up again.

These are the only ideas that I've got at the moment.

NitroX wrote:
1) Bios version is up to date ? Latest version is 305. If yes, then try older version like 304 and 303 and see if it works.
2) Chipset driver is up to date ? If not, here is the link https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=20775〈=eng&ProdId=816.
3) Uninstall all other software like ASUS Gaming center, ASUS GameFirst, and all things you don't actually need.
4) Try also to boot the laptop from a new HDD/SSD with a clean windows install and see if the cracking is still there.
5) If you haven't had this problem form the beginning and it just started after a while, and you say that it is a PowerManagement problem then make a PowerManagement reset by restarting your laptop and when the RoG logo appears press on the power button for 5 to 10 secs until the battery led flashes, turns off and lights up again.

Thanks for the help.

I am running the latest bios version (205). Can you flash an older version? I wasn't aware that was possible. My chipset driver is up to date and I tried reinstalling the one you posted. I'm not running any non-driver Asus software. I also have tried the hard restart like you suggested, both with 'Enabled' set to '0' and '1' under the 'PowerMgnt' key in the registry.

The crackle just before and after a sound is played persists. It's a brief crackle coming from what seems to be the left speaker for about a quarter second even while headphones are plugged in. As far as I can tell this is the exact same problem solved by the OP by editing the Power Management settings in the registry.

Is it possible there's a kind of driver conflict somewhere?

ReeveJ wrote:
Thanks for the help.

I am running the latest bios version (205). Can you flash an older version? I wasn't aware that was possible. My chipset driver is up to date and I tried reinstalling the one you posted. I'm not running any non-driver Asus software. I also have tried the hard restart like you suggested, both with 'Enabled' set to '0' and '1' under the 'PowerMgnt' key in the registry.

The crackle just before and after a sound is played persists.

ReeveJ, crackle just before and after a sound, that's different, don't have a fix for that off hand...

You can force an old BIOS install - force using an older dated/versioned BIOS for install by using the command line option /nodate for Winflash, either on the command line or setting it in the properties:

Not sure if that will help. Are you hearing the crackle in speakers, headphones, digital audio out, or all of them?

Is it the subwoofer crackling? Try turning the subwoofer level way down to see if that is it, set to 0 level, then bring up as needed to make it audible but not so high as to make offensive sound:

Is it an overdriven sound like way too loud, or just a static like noise?

hmscott wrote:
ReeveJ, crackle just before and after a sound, that's different, don't have a fix for that off hand...

You can force an old BIOS install - force using an older dated/versioned BIOS for install by using the command line option /nodate for Winflash, either on the command line or setting it in the properties.

Not sure if that will help. Are you hearing the crackle in speakers, headphones, digital audio out, or all of them?

Is it the subwoofer crackling? Try turning the subwoofer level way down to see if that is it, set to 0 level, then bring up as needed to make it audible but not so high as to make offensive sound:

Is it an overdriven sound like way too loud, or just a static like noise?

I'm note sure that it's a bios thing, either. Nor does it seem to be a subwoofer issue. I've tried changing the volume levels of all the speakers to no effect. In fact the speaker crackles just before and just after a sound is played even when the volume is set to '0.' It comes only from the (left?) speaker even while headphones are plugged in, but not through the actual headphone itself. Always the speaker. It's not really either an overdriven sound or static, it's just a very brief crackle (like a 'pfft' sound) which comes from the left side of the machine immediately before and after any kind of audio input. For example it'll crackle when a video file is opened and then again after it's closed. If you open a video file, set it to pause and then open another type of audio file, there'll be no crackle. You'll hear the crackle again when you close all of the audio files, however. Once again I really think that it's a Power Management issue which I'm unable to deactivate for some reason.