cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Card Problems-G73jh

Retired
Not applicable
I have a g73jh i got from Best Buy, I have spent the past two days looking around for a solution to this problem, it did not exist when I first got it, and only began this weekend (roughly a year after I got the laptop)

MY graphics Card is a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800

My problem is this, I get a corrupted screen (imaged below) when I do one of the following

1- watch a youtube video, both embedded or on site- flash content works fine
2- play select games, counterstrike is an example, just cause 2 works fine
3- unplug the laptop on have it run off battery

if I close the troublesome program/video or plug the laptop back in the screen returns to normal

I attempted to use the GSOD fix, but this only made the screen become corrupted ALL the time, instead of just with certain programs- I flashed my Vbios back to the stock version

I did update the drivers to both the newest from ATI and the one from the Asus website- no change

I did run some stress tests like FurMark- it told me the card was at 70* the whole time
So does Speed fan, but BurnIntest says it went up to 90.....

I would really appreciate some help!

2 REPLIES 2

Retired
Not applicable
Bump- could really use some help

dstrakele
Level 14
Does the corrupt display also occur on a secondary monitor? If not, you may have a poorly seated LCD video cable. If so, you may have a faulty GPU.

If you just purchased this laptop, I would go to the retailer and ask for an exchange to a new model without this issue.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT