cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU Fan Grinding want to replace-G73JH

Retired
Not applicable
My gpu fan is making a very very loud noise. I've taken it apart and cleaned everything out and now I think I just want to replace the fan. The only place I've found one was here: http://www.laptopcpufan.com/asus-g73-laptop-cpu-cooling-fan-p-2480.html
Are the cpu and gpu fans the same? They look exactly the same but I want to make sure before I pull the trigger. I would really like to play Skyrim in relative peace. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit: Also, is this site reputable? I've never shopped there before.
9 REPLIES 9

JRd1st
Level 12
Since you're taking the fan out anyway, power it up and see if its making the noise extermally

Btw, I just bookmarked that link, good find!
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
I'm not sure what you mean. I haven't taken the fan out yet cause I still want to use it. The noise is continuing to get worse. Will the computer still work if I unplug the fan? If it does how can I keep the gpu cool enough to still play games? I have after burner on my pc so i can monitor temps and stuff. Would one of those laptop coolers be able to kind of take the place of the fan for the time being? I was thinking of chopping a hole below where the fan is to get more airflow behind the heatSink.

JRd1st
Level 12
Well you could maybe fix it if you take ie out then put it back in. Maybe there's a wayward screw in there, or the squirrel cage is rubbing just a little. You can use something else ti power it up.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
I think I'm gonna switch the fans, gpu where the cpu one is and vice versa. I'll also see if I can oil the fan. Would silicon oil work for that?

JRd1st
Level 12
Yup, but just oil the bearings. May be a ceramic sleeve bearing.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
I opened it back up and removed both fans. I oiled the problem fan and then switched their positions. The sound seems to have gone away but i'm still gonna hold my breath. I turned Skyrim on for a few minutes and the laptop was back to factory quiteness.

JRd1st
Level 12
See, now don't you have a feeling of accomplishment! 😄

Did they have ceramic bearings? I used 3-in-1 oil on my daughter's CPU fan and it never needed oil again. There was a little rubber cap that I pulled off and there was the bearing.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
I don't even really remember seeing a bearing. When I took the fan out of its little housing there was a pin on the fan that went into a little hole. I just squirted some oil into it. Although, I did switch the fans and the one that was for the cpu rarely turned on. It might not be fixed but at least it's quiet for now.

JRd1st
Level 12
Well, it's some sort of sleeve bearing...

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com