cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S46CM Notebook keyboard spare part query

pavanchirmade
Level 7
Hello guys,
This is my first post on ROG forums. I have the Asus S46CM laptop and I have a malfunctioning keyboard. Whenever the laptop heats up to say 60 degrees C under load or when I play a game, the keys randomly stop working. They work or they don't. The whole keyboard doesn't die, some keys die. There is no pattern to which keys die when. Totally random.
I looked at the e-store and they don't have the keyboard. Amazon and e-bay have it but there is a problem. The keyboard is riveted to the top panel using plastic rivets and the ones sold on amazon and ebay are without the frame (top panel). I have the exact part numbers for the US-layout parts as well as the Canadian bilingual parts (I am from Canada).
Where does one go when Asus e-store does not have the required parts? I am a student and this is the only computer I have, hence cannot RMA it. The warranty has expired too.
2 REPLIES 2

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi,

Sorry to hear the system is not working better.

If the keyboard itself was actually bad though, I would think whatever didn't work, would not work regardless of the temperature, so it makes me wonder if replacing the keyboard would actually fix the problem and there isn't something else wrong although it's probably the first thing to try if you had to.

Anyway, just wondering if you had a USB keyboard around you could plug in when the problem happens just to check if anything happens to it when the notebook keyboard is not working, but may not be very conclusive if the USB keyboard is still okay.

Not sure how well this will work, but you might contact eStore to see if they can order or plan to carry the S46CM keyboard, but they may not always be able to or it may take a long time.

Anyway, hopefully others have better ideas and good luck in getting that solved.

I am using a USB keyboard. It never crossed my mind that something other than the keyboard might be faulty. I wonder how can I figure that out. The estore says they don't have the part. This is a very nice laptop other than the keyboard issue. If only they would have used screws instead of plastic rivets 😞

How can I narrow it down? Are keyboard connectors standard? If I could connect some other keyboard and test it, maybe I can find out what is wrong.