cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X99-S occasional AE code after BIOS

dellguyz
Level 7
Hello there,

I have an old post which mentioned about qcode B2, sort out that was due to my display card VBIOS not up-to-date. That issue seems fixed after updating to latest VBIOS from EVGA.

Now the error qcode AE comes out randomly right after POST, it occur more occasion during first cold start each day. The POST goes smooth but then it will stuck at a keyboard cursor screen, or cyan windows logo screen without further loading. This error occurs in random, let say, 1 out of 15 or 20. I have search for the web and say it maybe caused by fail detection of booting HDD/SDD or external USB device. This error occur in random so I donno how to trace the source.

Here is pc spec:
Intel 5820K, GSkill 4x4GB DDR4 2400mhz RAM. Crucial M550 256G(boot), MX100 512G (storage), Toshiba 3TB HDD (storage), win8.1

And here is my USB device connections layout:
USB2.0 keyboard (rear USB3.0 port), USB2.0 mouse (rear USB 3.0 port), USB 2.0 CH joystick and throttle (rear USB 3.0 port), USB DAC (rear USB 2.0 port), external USB 3.0 hubs (rear USB 3.0 port)

Thank you.
11 REPLIES 11

Cur10uS
Level 7
hey...did you solve this issue? I have the same exact problem with my x99 pro

mostly during first boot every day

Raja
Level 13
Can be caused by some USB devices that need xHCI firmware updates or an unstable system.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Can be caused by some USB devices that need xHCI firmware updates or an unstable system.

can it be caused by asus x99 pro mobo? i updated all the drivers and the bios too, to 1401

Raja
Level 13
What I stated above has nothing to do with drivers.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
What I stated above has nothing to do with drivers.

I have the same problem too with the x99-a I suspect it is a bios problem and I am on the latest Version 1702 (2015.04.15) update

teckgeek
Level 7
I forgot to mention that I have windows 7 and I am using the legacy BIOS mode and not the UEFI mode, it only happens on boot up while windows is recognizing the hardware and when it actually boots up it takes a little longer than it should to boot up (compared to P8Z77-V PRO with the same components expect 1600mhz ddr3 vs 2400ddr4 and 3570k vs 5820k processor so it should be faster not slower booting up...)

Chino
Level 15
One of your USB devices is causing the problem you're experiencing. Disconnect them one by one to find the culprit. Once you do, look for a firmware update for the device. If none is available or provided, consider disabling xHCI at the cost of losing USB 3.0 functionality or alternatively replace the USB device with a newer one.

First thanks for responding,
I already did disconnect all my usb devices expect my mouse and keyboard and that did not fix the problem the only thing I did not do is disabling the xhci so I went ahead and disabled it and that did not speedup the boot up now I will wait to see if that AE code comes up again
My system
5820k - asus X99-A - MSI gtx970 -16gb Kingston 2400DDR4 -Creative Sound Blaster Z - 4 X Samsung 850 ssd and intel X25-V ssd - (no dvd rom) all at stuck and stable with the exception of this issue...

teckgeek wrote:

I already did disconnect all my usb devices expect my mouse and keyboard

One of those is probably causing the issue if not both. The AE QCODE is case specific. Some users get it everytime until they disconnnect the USB device that is cuasing it. Some users get it once in a few boots.