cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Gene Multiple probelms, including OCing.

Weidass
Level 7
Hi Guys,

There are a few problems with my motherboard.

Firstly, when I turn it on and do a cold boot, the power comes on for around 3 seconds, then off again for another 3 seconds, then the pc boots normally. Just before it switches off after the three seconds, the code displayed is 36. I have tried a different power supply, same result. Tried it with nothing plugged in except 1 stick of ram and the PSU, still does it. It also has a very similar issue with sleep mode. If it goes to sleep, when I turn it on, it does the whole on off thing over and over again for about a minute then it starts as though it lost power while asleep.

Secondly, if I try and set ram timings and speeds manually, they do not actually apply. I can set whatever Mhz I like in the bios, but in windows, it is always reported as 667Mhz.
A Couple of times I have got it to go to 800Mhz if I keep resetting to defaults with only one stick of ram, but even then, I couldn't change the speeds. It seems to be forced on automatic regardless of if I select manual or XMP. The bios screen always shows "Target Ram Speed" is what i've selected, it just doesn't apply.

Finally, with the CPU, I cannot increase or decrease the vCore voltage, and LLC doesn't make any difference either. It's stuck at around 1.1v. I tried putting 1.2v through it in the bios, but cpuz reported no change in voltage, and Intel Burn Test still failed at 4.4Ghz witn the higher vcore (that didn't apply).
I can however change the multiplier up to 43 before it becomes unstable, but it seems my chip is capable of so much more as the temps only get up to about 62c.

All of these speeds and voltages are measured using the latest version of cpu-z.

I've tried upgrading the bios, downgrading the bios, various configurations of UEFI and Bios modes for windows, different hardware configs, different ram, different power supply, and it just won't work correctly.

I've messaged Asus but I doubt I'll get anywhere. Apparently the 3 year warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on in the UK.

If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears.
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Weidass and Welcome to ROG
Some configurations do not work well with AISuite, if you are using it, so try this.

First clear your CMOS, then download the latest Bios for your MB from ASUS Support.
Flash it using the USB BIOS Flashback method. (If unsure I can guide you)
When the flash is complete, clear your CMOS again.
Enter BIOS and load optimized defaults.
Reboot into safe mode and remove AISuite. Run the AISuite uninstaller as administrator. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B926mvzob6fcTUhlSkxsR3lRV0E/edit?pli=1

I tried to determine your latest Bios but ASUS support only gave me Maximus vi gene, although I selected Maximus v gene. May be the same, but check.

Edit: Found it, 1903 is latest and don't forget the renamer tool from utilities.
Also ensure your MEI is up to date.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Weidass
Level 7
HI MeanMachine,

So far I am only using a plain windows 8.1 install. None of the AI Suite or MEI installed. Interestingly, I had to reinstall when I downgraded from 1903 to 1806.
I've flashed the bios twice. once from what it came with going to 1903, then again the other night going to 1806. Each time I've flashed a different version of the bios, I've put the bios file on a fat32 usb stick and flashed using EZ Flash, and not renamed the bios file.

Is USB flash back a better option? (Just curious, I'm going to do it the way you suggest when I get home tonight anyway.)

EDIT : Also, just to check, should I remove the CPU, Ram, and all other items before I flash it?

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Weidass and both methods are viable, but different Bios files work better for some and not others.
Please refer to this post: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?42298-Asus-Maximus-V-Gene-Bios-v1903-Updated-Modules

Yes, sometimes a better result is obtained from flashing using the flashback port on your IO panel.
I am not 100% sure with the older Maximus Mbs, if a Bios rom update is better or a rename of the Bios file using the renaming tool is best.
According to ASUS support the renaming tool is available so give it a try. If it takes you would benefit.

Rename the Bios file using the renamer on an empty fat32 usb stick. You should have just the Bios file and renaming tool. Activate and It will rename to M5G.CAP. (check it has done its job)

Power down your system so there is only power to the MB. You do not have to remove anything.
Clear your CMOS prior to flashback.

Insert the USB into the lower USB flashback port on your IO panel (next to the button with two little racetracks. Press the ROG connect button for 3 secs till it starts to flash.
Once it stops you are done.

MM

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

Weidass
Level 7
I've had a read of the post you linked and have a quick question.

Am I correct in thinking that the Intel management engine is it's own system that can be flashed from within windows, and would it also therefore be best to install the latest version "Intel ME8 Consumer 1.5MB Firmware v8.1.52.1496" from here http://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-amp-System-Tools.html

Just want to get as much info before I get home tonight and waste another night messing with the bios.

This is all greatly appreciated by the way. Also, from what I have described, what do you think the odds are that it's a screwy bios and not a faulty cpu or anything else?

EDIT : Interesting... I've come home and checked my bios, and the ME version is N/A. Perhaps that could be causing problems? Either way, I'm going to flash the latest version.

Ok, I did the bios flashback to 1903 but still no change. I also am having great troubles installing either the IME flash update or the IME drivers. It keeps telling me the platform isn't supported.

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Weidass, Please fill out your full system specs in your profile.

You must have Intel Management Engine Interface drivers already installed before the ME firmware update.

Does the following help: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/54860-about-intel-management-engine-firmware.html#post469076

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

Weidass
Level 7
Every time i try to use any of the ME tools like MEInfo or MEManufWin, or if i try to install the drivers, im told the system isn't supported.