cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driver Explanation

Ocelot
Level 7
Hi,

I made a fresh installation and im about to install the drivers of my mainboard. I want to keep my Pc as "clean" as possible so I would like to know what some drivers are for and if its necessary to install them?

What are they for
Intel(R) Management Engine Interface V10.0.0.1204 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)
Asmedia USB3.1/3.0 Driver V1.16.23.0 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)
Asmedia USB Controller Driver V2.0.8.1 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

I didnt install the usb drivers because everything is running fine but is it still better to install them?
What is the difference between the Usb 3.0 driver and the Controller driver?

Thanks!!
10 REPLIES 10

Chino
Level 15

Ocelot
Level 7
Thanks but what is it for? The reason im asking about the drivers is I have a usb audio interface and everytime my pc is in standby and back on my interface "crashes " I have to reboot or unplug and plugin the cable. Without the drivers eyerything works fine and everything is shown in device manager. I didnt have that problem before with my old mainboard!

ChiefZeke
Level 10
Latest MEI: IntelManagementEngineInterface_win7_8.1_10.0.38.1036

Chipset: IntelChipset_10.0.0020_whql

ASMedia: asmedia_106x_2091
Lian-Li PC-A77F Full Tower case
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1200 ATX12V & EPS12V PSU
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 X79
Intel Core i7-3960X 3.31 LGA 2011 CPU
Intel RTS2011LC Liquid Cooling Solution
Kingston KHX24C11T3K4/32X (quad 32Gb memory kit) 2 each
ASUS Radeon HD7970 DirectCUII 3Gb GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (two in CrossfireX Mode)
Western Digital Cavier Black 2Tb SATA III 6.0GB/S
OCZ Technologies Vertex 4 SATAIII 6Gb/s 512Gb SSD

Asmedia USB3.1/3.0 Driver V1.16.23.0 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)
Asmedia USB Controller Driver V2.0.8.1 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

Installing these will most definitely stop your "crashing" problems. Not guaranteed but that does sound like a driver issue.

What I would do is go to the ASUS website and find your motherboard and download the LATEST drivers. That way ALL YOUR DRIVERS are up to date. THe latest drivers might help with the crashing. You asked what they are for? Well, many stability and communication issues are handled by the ASMEDIA drivers. GET THE LATEST ONES!!!

As for keeping your pc clean. These driver installs won't affect startup or performance... Actually they will affect performance; in a good way. Good luck man.

Radeson
Level 7
Intel(R) Management Engine Interface V10.0.0.1204

This runs the x99 chipset on your motherboard. Installing this will help with stability and help your motherboard communicate better with everything else in your system. If you dont want your system to start giving you driver problems or random crashes down the road, it is highly recommended that you install it.

Ocelot
Level 7
Thanks for all the answer!!

Hi!

I don't own a Rampage V but instead a Maximus VII Gene and I'm just finishing setting up my new rig.
I tried to install ASMedia drivers from ASUS website (v1.16.15.0) and it doesn't install, after the setup extraction, when you double click in the setup file just appears a window that says in tittle "Windows Installer" and it only have some info about command line commands and parameters.
I tried to install it from device manager with the option update drivers and just appears the information that Windows doesn't need it.

I have Windows 8.1 Pro N with update (15/12/2014) and it seems that the drivers version included in Windows are more recent so I searched a little in the web for the most recent drives and I found the version 1.16.23 (http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/articles/1272-asmedia-asm-104x-107x-drivers-version-1-16-23...) and it seems the same version from ASUS website for Rampage V.

My question is, since I don't have any issues until now, it's only a fresh Windows install with everything updated as possible, should I leave the "generic" Windows drivers installed or install the ones for Rampage V from ASUS website since I can't install the ones for Gene VII.
I have the concern that if I install the drivers for Rampage V that something can happen like this user (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23773-Trouble-with-asmedia-USB-3-0-ports-RIVE&p=439365&vie...).

I appreciate your help, thanks in advance.

Corvus Mortuus wrote:
Hi!

I don't own a Rampage V but instead a Maximus VII Gene and I'm just finishing setting up my new rig.
I tried to install ASMedia drivers from ASUS website (v1.16.15.0) and it doesn't install, after the setup extraction, when you double click in the setup file just appears a window that says in tittle "Windows Installer" and it only have some info about command line commands and parameters.
I tried to install it from device manager with the option update drivers and just appears the information that Windows doesn't need it.

I have Windows 8.1 Pro N with update (15/12/2014) and it seems that the drivers version included in Windows are more recent so I searched a little in the web for the most recent drives and I found the version 1.16.23 (http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/articles/1272-asmedia-asm-104x-107x-drivers-version-1-16-23...) and it seems the same version from ASUS website for Rampage V.

My question is, since I don't have any issues until now, it's only a fresh Windows install with everything updated as possible, should I leave the "generic" Windows drivers installed or install the ones for Rampage V from ASUS website since I can't install the ones for Gene VII.
I have the concern that if I install the drivers for Rampage V that something can happen like this user (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23773-Trouble-with-asmedia-USB-3-0-ports-RIVE&p=439365&vie...).

I appreciate your help, thanks in advance.

Hello,
Theres a small chance that the first time you tried to install the updated drivers, that it did install. Im taking a shot in the dark that it just quickly installed without prompts for some reason.(it happens occasionally) Have you tried going to device manager and selecting an Asmedia port to check "properties"?? The driver version will be listed in one of the tabs in the properties window. I'm guessing that the latest ones are already installed, and that is why windows said that it didnt need them.

I wouldn't install the drivers for the rampage 5 extreme personally. There is a chance that they are the exact same drivers IDK. But there's an old saying: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". There is also a chance that they are completly different.

You might want to try disableing any type of antivirus software temporarily while you try to install the CORRECT drivers. That might hinder it from installing correctly. Just a thought.

Hi!

I checked and it didn't install, I don't have any AV yet and after the double click in the setup file does the loading and then only appears a window with the title "Windows Installer" and it only have some info about command line commands and parameters and a ok button and when I click in the ok button it just quits without doing nothing.
In the device manager it is listed as "ASMedia USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft)" with the version 6.3.9600.17393.

Anyway since everything is working fine I will follow your advice and like you said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Thanks!