cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i am using my laptop as stationary pc, is that a problem?

matau
Level 9
I have bigger monitor connected to my laptop, also a keyboard and mouse. i am keeping my laptop lid closed all the time and i wonder is there any chance to damage my screen with the heat my laptop make while i am playing games?
7 REPLIES 7

navis995
Level 11
As long as the temperatures are low, you not should but will be fine regarding anything.
Heat is an enemy.
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

tian447
Level 7
Why would you buy a £1000 laptop to use as a desktop, when you could have bought an equal or better spec PC for much cheaper...?

tian447 wrote:
Why would you buy a £1000 laptop to use as a desktop, when you could have bought an equal or better spec PC for much cheaper...?

tian447, smaller profile on the workspace. Less power consumption, lots cheaper/greener to run. You can take the laptop with you - leaving an external drive / backup behind. The external screen is easier to read / use while at home. I also keep a dedicated monitor for my laptop at work, quick setup/takedown every day.

And, I can take the laptop around the house, outside, etc - my primary computing device is available wherever I need it 🙂

The better question is, why do you want a big noisy power sucking metal box knocking your knees while you are working? 😉

hmscott wrote:
tian447, smaller profile on the workspace. Less power consumption, lots cheaper/greener to run. You can take the laptop with you - leaving an external drive / backup behind. The external screen is easier to read / use while at home. I also keep a dedicated monitor for my laptop at work, quick setup/takedown every day.

And, I can take the laptop around the house, outside, etc - my primary computing device is available wherever I need it 🙂

The better question is, why do you want a big noisy power sucking metal box knocking your knees while you are working? 😉

This + its sexy 😄

hmscott wrote:

I like my big noisy power sucking metal box 😛

I guess it makes sense as it is effectively a desktop replacement instead of an actual desktop machine, but I prefer to have both for different tasks!

tian447 wrote:
I like my big noisy power sucking metal box 😛

I guess it makes sense as it is effectively a desktop replacement instead of an actual desktop machine, but I prefer to have both for different tasks!

tian447, fair enough 🙂

My big noisy power sucking metal box, a Rampage III Extreme 980x is sitting in storage, and I don't miss it...maybe some new Intel release will entice me into making a new one, but for now the G750JH is enough.

It's nice to have multiple machines, but VM's suffice, along with tablet / phone (6"), and a kindle, I have enough screens available. I used to have a dozen machines making noise, but the power bill and futility of it all got tiresome.

I found a workable minimum, and gained some leverage on the time factor supporting it all.

The me of dozens of machines, racks of equipment, and multiple internet connections of the past, wouldn't relate to the satisfaction of the minimalist me of today. 🙂

hmscott wrote:

:cool:
ASUS G750JZ - T4044H with GX1000 black