cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

detailed guide for installing SSD in G750JS-NH71

Blessed_again
Level 7
I would like to install a 240GB SanDisk Plus sata3 SSD in my G750js-NH71gaming laptop. Is there a detailed guide with step by steps so a novice will not make a mistake in the process? I have one 16 GB flashdrive with the backtracker recovery file. and on another 8Gb flashdrive, I have a file that says "esupport" that has the drivers on it. These were made with the backtracker program. Should both of these files be on the same flashdrive? I have installed several programs (Office) and games on the 1TB hard drive. Is it easier to start over clean and reinstall the programs or is there an easy way to keep what i have on the orginal HD? Do I need to format the SSD drive before I start this process , if so how? Is there anything I have to do in the Bios during this process? Are These the steps to install the SSD?:
Make backtracker flash drive image
Remove battery
Remove harddrive
Install SSD in slot where harddrive was
Install battery and flashdrive. Reboot with flashdrive and restore
Install 1TB harddrive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1 REPLY 1

hmscott
Level 12
Blessed again wrote:
I would like to install a 240GB SanDisk Plus sata3 SSD in my G750js-NH71gaming laptop. Is there a detailed guide with step by steps so a novice will not make a mistake in the process? I have one 16 GB flashdrive with the backtracker recovery file. and on another 8Gb flashdrive, I have a file that says "esupport" that has the drivers on it. These were made with the backtracker program. Should both of these files be on the same flashdrive? I have installed several programs (Office) and games on the 1TB hard drive. Is it easier to start over clean and reinstall the programs or is there an easy way to keep what i have on the orginal HD? Do I need to format the SSD drive before I start this process , if so how? Is there anything I have to do in the Bios during this process? Are These the steps to install the SSD?:
Make backtracker flash drive image
Remove battery
Remove harddrive
Install SSD in slot where harddrive was
Install battery and flashdrive. Reboot with flashdrive and restore
Install 1TB harddrive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Blessed again, the list is good, if you can do without the HD put it on the shelf for a ready backup - you can swap it in if you need to ship for RMA - keeping your stuff at home, if you lose or need to reuse the Flash drive for something you can remake the Asus Backtracker backup using the HDD, among other benefits.

2TB HDD's are inexpensive, and 1TB HDD's even cheaper... but I recommend only using SSD's in the laptop - I put the heat generating HDD in an external USB 3.0 enclosure.

Given you want to preserve your installs/config, you can also use Macrium Reflect Free to clone the HDD to the SSD, and resize the partitions as needed to fit the smaller sized SSD.

When you have a Backtracker flash recovery drive and your HDD set aside, you can safely remove the recovery partition and 2nd partition (storage) made on the boot drive (SSD) and reclaim the space into your C partition - making a small SSD usable as a boot SSD.

Macrium Reflect Free download
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Here is what it looks like, cloning from 1TB HDD to 256GB SSD, and resizing the destinations:

- advanced use - clone the first 4 partitions and skip cloning last 3 partitions - you only need the OS partitions and the C partition. Mega advanced, skip the leading ~1GB partition (#2) in front of the C partition - it's used for Recovery support. So only clone partitions #1, #3, #4 - unless you want to preserve the recovery partition and support on the boot drive 🙂

Have fun 🙂