cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking failed message ( without overclocking)

Aurora
Level 7
Hello,

I have a problem with my Asus Rampage Formula III motherboard.
When i turn on my computer, it gets in a boot loop. Continuosly boots itself over 15times, until i pres 'Reset' button on the motherboard. Then i see Overclocking Failed message, Press F1 to enter bios, Press F2 to load default settings and continue.

If i press F2 and load default, system runs without problem at maximum performance with no errors.
If i press F1 and start bios, load default settings myself, save changes and quit, again i get Overclocking failed.

I've tried with diffrent video card, PSU, RAM, tried clearing CMOS, updating bios,settings ai suite to manual. Still having the same issue.

But it does not happen on everyboot, usually on cold boots ( in the morning when i wake up )

Here is my system: Asus rampage formula III, evga geforce gtx580, corsair dominator 12gb 2000mhz ram( 3 sticks), 1000W PSU, i7-960 intel cpu.

Thank you very much for your help
5 REPLIES 5

Noein
Level 7
try update bios
if wont help
set qpi/dram at 1.35 v
and ram as your vendor says ( 1.65v or so )
OR
try to run with 4-6 GB of ram to check if all works fine

I've tried updating bios. Clearing cmos. Tried setting qpi-dram 1,35 voltages. Tried with 1 ram stick only. Didn't worked.

I took the sytem to Asus, they said they fixed it by disabling memory recheck options in bios. Now i got home, and i get the same error again. After disabling memory re-check option, boot loop seems to over but still getting overclock failed message.

😕

Aurora
Level 7
ı have rampage III formula, i too having cold boot isues, it doesn't happen everytime tho, my bios settings are all on default, i still get 'Overclocking failed message'. I took the pc to asus service, they disabled memory recheck options in bios and told me its fixed. When i got home, i realized it still has the same issue. I updated bios to 903 version, cleared cmos, it sill doesn't work.

Raja
Level 13
your IMC is not fully stable with your DRAM and sometimes one of the DIMMs fails read/write levelling during POST. Only thing you can do is increase voltages to the related buses (DRAM and VTT) or relax some of the memory timings to ensure stability.

I see. I increased the Qpi/Dram to 1,35V and DRAM to 1,64V. Do i need to increase anything else? (like cpu, cpu PLL).
Is it ok if i just ignore the overclocking failed message, press F2 and continue? Could there be any problem in the future?

Thank you very much for your help.