cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory not usable

BalearicLion
Level 8
Hi

Just upgraded my processor to a FX 9590 which is running sweet at 40c and max out 59c in Battlefield 4. At same time I replaced my Patriot Black Mamba Viper ram (PV38G160C9K) 4 X 4GB 1600mhz WITH 2 X 8GB Kingston Beast Hyper X 2133mhz. Was always reading and using 16 gb. Now 1t only shows 8gb in bios installed yet in the Tools it is seeing both sticks, boot into Windows 8.1 and that says 16gb (7.48 usable) or something like that. Tried putting my Patriot back to test the slots and now only 8gb is showing in bios.

I have had the MB for 1 year and previously had a FX 8320 processor.

Anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks in advance
16 REPLIES 16

chris635
Level 7
BalearicLion wrote:
Hi

Just upgraded my processor to a FX 9590 which is running sweet at 40c and max out 59c in Battlefield 4. At same time I replaced my Patriot Black Mamba Viper ram (PV38G160C9K) 4 X 4GB 1600mhz WITH 2 X 8GB Kingston Beast Hyper X 2133mhz. Was always reading and using 16 gb. Now 1t only shows 8gb in bios installed yet in the Tools it is seeing both sticks, boot into Windows 8.1 and that says 16gb (7.48 usable) or something like that. Tried putting my Patriot back to test the slots and now only 8gb is showing in bios.

I have had the MB for 1 year and previously had a FX 8320 processor.

Anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks in advance

Check your timings for your ram in the bios. I would manually enter them. I have tried in the past to run slightly tighter timings, when I did only some of my ram would show usable.
Chris...Have a nice day.

I was trying that but sadly in the tools they use abbreviations which do not really correspond with the memory timings area. Example being TRC which in the tools is 48 but cannot see what that would mean in the timings, the top 4 are easy enough, the rest I have no real idea what they mean. What is really puzzling me is that before my old ram worked perfect that also shows as 8gb instead of 16, I am wondering if there is a problem with the MB, I am a novice when it comes to O/C as I have always used AI suite.

BalearicLion wrote:
I was trying that but sadly in the tools they use abbreviations which do not really correspond with the memory timings area. Example being TRC which in the tools is 48 but cannot see what that would mean in the timings, the top 4 are easy enough, the rest I have no real idea what they mean. What is really puzzling me is that before my old ram worked perfect that also shows as 8gb instead of 16, I am wondering if there is a problem with the MB, I am a novice when it comes to O/C as I have always used AI suite.

Yes, just do the top four . Leave everything else on auto except DRAM Row Cycle Time (that should be 48), DRAM Read to Read, set to 5 and Command Rate 2T. Try this and let me know.
Chris...Have a nice day.

BalearicLion
Level 8
Hi Chris

Still the same, the board is only seeing 8gb when 16 is installed, yet Windows sees 16 and says 7.74 is available, BTW also tried clocking the memory down to 1600mhz with same results.

BalearicLion wrote:
Hi Chris

Still the same, the board is only seeing 8gb when 16 is installed, yet Windows sees 16 and says 7.74 is available, BTW also tried clocking the memory down to 1600mhz with same results.

What is your CPU/NB frequency set to?
Chris...Have a nice day.

BalearicLion
Level 8
Cpu is running at 4700 Mhz and NB 2200. Apart from memory timings, the complete board is on optimized defaults, I also disabled the ECC.
Contemplating going and buying a Sabertooth board since that is the only board that officially has the CPU recognised.

BalearicLion
Level 8
Ok, update, got a Sabertooth 990FX all I now have 16gb of memory usable. So it would sen to me that my Crosshair has become faulty, guess I will be
calling Asus on Monday.

chris635
Level 7
Did you ever clear cmos or at least pull the cmos battery for 5 minutes or so? Sometimes that will help your bios pull it's head out of it's ****.
Chris...Have a nice day.

chris635 wrote:
Did you ever clear cmos or at least pull the cmos battery for 5 minutes or so? Sometimes that will help your bios pull it's head out of it's ****.

Hi Chris
Yes I had it out for over 30 minutes whilst I was checking everything else was seated and the wife was reading instructions to me
about testing memory somewhere else on the forum.

As I say put all the same components on a Sabertooth board and it works perfectly, have sent Asus an email will wait for their reply.

Many thanks for trying to help with this, if they replace it, I will fit this Sabertooth in the wifes machine, is not then I will never buy
another Asus MB and find another manufacturer to support, I would expect a ROG board to last longer than 10 months.