cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change from sound card Creative Sound Blaster Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus ZX to agree ?

michele_miele19
Level 7
hello guys as the title are in the possession of the sound card Creative Sound Blaster ZX , with this card I find it really well and I have no problems , but I wanted some advice if it was the best Xonar Phoebus and if it was convenient to go from Creative Xonar Phoebus also because I wanted to replace my headset with the headset Asus ROG Vulcan PRO which is 7.1 while my Creative card is 5.1 . I am aware that the headset is equipped with a micro sound card connected via USB to control the 7.1 but I'm interested to interact by default sound card . I would also like to know if you could use Asus ROG Vulcan PRO with Creative sound card and have the headset in 5.1 instead of 7.1 .

waiting for your replies best regards
10 REPLIES 10

Florin
Level 7
Friendly advice? keep your money, 7.1 on heaphones is just a gimmick , find a good set of audiophile headphones + separate mic. As for the card ... ASUS has forgot that they make soundcards 🙂

PS: Phoebus is know to have issues with humming/buzzing on Mic input .. mine has it and i can`t do anything about it. In rest is an amazing card but due to ASUS lack of support i can`t recommend this .
i7-4790k + Corsair H80i | Asus Maximus VII Ranger | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866 | Sapphire R9-290 OC Vapor-X 4GB | Asus Xonar Phoebus + Audio Technica M50 | 1xSSD Corsair 120 GB | 4x1 TB Seagate HDD | Corsair CX750M | Corsair Carbide 300R | Razer Taipan + Logitech G11 | Windows 10 64bit

The humming is because of really ****ty shielding from all the other PC components. The graphics card is the biggest bandit.

If you build your own shielding from aluminum foil, which I don't recommend because you might destroy the card if you aren't careful. You'll see that it dissapears.

Undertoker
Level 9
In honesty bud all I've heard is bad into about the ROG sound cards sadly
What seems to have been unforgivable is the total lack of any support at all over it as well
I9 14900K >ASUS ROG Strix RTX 4090 OC Edition
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME EATX Motherboard
ASUS ROG PG35VQ @ 200mhz in 3440x1440
Trident Z RGB 64GB DDR5 @ 6400mhz
Samsung 980 EVO Pro M.2 x 5 off
NZXT Z63 Kraken AIO CPU Cooler
NZXT H700i + Hue 2 (Pubg Edition) - Heavily modified
ASUS ROG THOR 1200w PSU
Corsair M65 RGB Mouse
Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard

Korth
Level 14
Most headphones have just two speakers/drivers - one for each ear - and their "7.1 Surround Sound" emulation is done through clever software. It does sound pretty good, better than stereo, but your ears can still tell the difference between a real sound field and a simulated one.

Some headsets have multiple speakers in each can, typically one or two smaller mids positioned to provide "directional" audio, sometimes also a larger bass speaker. These provide a better environmental sound experience, but the smaller speakers often have poorer overall frequency response than larger speakers would.

Either way, immersive surround sound through headphones is a little unnatural for some people because the sounds are generated based on what can be "heard" from the point of view of the virtual environment seen on a computer screen, not from wherever you might actually position or reposition your ears. The same problem exists with a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setup, but somehow it can seem more intense through headphones.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Mineria
Level 7
michele.miele1991 wrote:
hello guys as the title are in the possession of the sound card Creative Sound Blaster ZX , with this card I find it really well and I have no problems , but I wanted some advice if it was the best Xonar Phoebus and if it was convenient to go from Creative Xonar Phoebus also because I wanted to replace my headset with the headset Asus ROG Vulcan PRO which is 7.1 while my Creative card is 5.1 . I am aware that the headset is equipped with a micro sound card connected via USB to control the 7.1 but I'm interested to interact by default sound card . I would also like to know if you could use Asus ROG Vulcan PRO with Creative sound card and have the headset in 5.1 instead of 7.1 .

waiting for your replies best regards

Not sure if I understand your question, but the Creative Sound Blaster ZxR wins, especially when it comes to multi track sound recording and playback.
5.1, 7.1... I only use stereo monitors and headsets, but virtual surround works quite well according to fps gamers.
For gaming the cheaper ZX should be fine, I would not go from ZX to Phoebus, only the other way around.

Mineria wrote:
Not sure if I understand your question, but the Creative Sound Blaster ZxR wins, especially when it comes to multi track sound recording and playback.
5.1, 7.1... I only use stereo monitors and headsets, but virtual surround works quite well according to fps gamers.
For gaming the cheaper ZX should be fine, I would not go from ZX to Phoebus, only the other way around.

Surround is just a gimmick, the positional sound in games is mostly done by the CPU , the soundcard has nothing to do with that. Take BF4 for instance, everything is done in the game`s engine on the CPU, the soundcard will only make it sound better than the onboard, nothing else. You can thank Microsoft for this since they removed Direct Sound since Windows Vista i believe, or was it XP?
i7-4790k + Corsair H80i | Asus Maximus VII Ranger | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866 | Sapphire R9-290 OC Vapor-X 4GB | Asus Xonar Phoebus + Audio Technica M50 | 1xSSD Corsair 120 GB | 4x1 TB Seagate HDD | Corsair CX750M | Corsair Carbide 300R | Razer Taipan + Logitech G11 | Windows 10 64bit

Florin wrote:
Surround is just a gimmick, the positional sound in games is mostly done by the CPU , the soundcard has nothing to do with that. Take BF4 for instance, everything is done in the game`s engine on the CPU, the soundcard will only make it sound better than the onboard, nothing else. You can thank Microsoft for this since they removed Direct Sound since Windows Vista i believe, or was it XP?

That was with Vista.

physiecho
Level 7
hardware of phoebus is so powerful and excellent and definitly better than creative zx BUT phoebus suffers from its driver...

physiecho wrote:
hardware of phoebus is so powerful and excellent and definitly better than creative zx BUT phoebus suffers from its driver...

Lack of driver support is the problem.
I wonder if support is better for the ASUS Essence STX II, since that probably is the best none professional card atm.

EDIT: Seems driver support is just as lacking for that model, ASUS VIP forum is currently compromised as well...