cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIVE BOARD Failure

philly_cheese_s
Level 8

Hello all!
I named the title(friendly) as I have been an active member here love my RIVE BOARD, any always try to help others in this forum. What Happened, MY CPU 3930K was running full energy savings at default settings @3800, temps were good as I use a custom 360 rad with a pump and res. 4 sticks of 1833 memory running at 1600/1.5V. PSU EVGA 1300 G2, and one Asus 780 TI DCiiOC. So I was cruzing the net watching net flix, I see this BRIGHT light(like you see right before you hear a BOOM)coming from my motherboard(took me 3 seconds to realize not good)I Hit the instant off switch on the back of the PSU. Heavy smoke in the air smell of freshly burnt electronics, nothing plugged into the fan header where it all started. The board was running when I shut her down, I checked everything on my set up I could find nothing wrong? Powered back on, cycles power but no boot and no Q code from the trouble display.
I'm not sure if my CPU is any good still, my PSU, my memory? I have a board I bought used with a few bent pins, was gonna try to at least verify the CPU memory and PSU by getting into its bios.
This board was an RMA from the summer before last direct from Asus USA, and came complete in a new box. I think the old board had bad SATA'S on it as I recall.
Can anyone from Asus help me out here? I assume its a Power Phase component that smoked, I can't afford to buy a new CPU $600 and a new $500 2011 V2, I lost my job after moving to a new city and planed on using my RIVE for some time to come.......

In the picture the board is burnt near the stand off, but the stand off is on plexiglass and the unit runs open air all the time. It did have a little dust normal from the fans I kept on the Vregs and memory(no dust bunnies).

AGAIN I, I'm out here and not sure what to do. I can't just ball up a $500 board and call it experience.....
4 REPLIES 4

philly_cheese_s
Level 8
Guess I'm SOL............................

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi philly cheese steak and sorry your MB is now toast.
I am not an ASUS support rep, however I just wanted to share commiseration.
I don't know what advice to offer apart from, get a new MB, as I doubt it will be worth repairing and now out of Warranty?.
What other damage as a result of this is any ones guess.

Although being a good insulator, Plexiglas is subject to static charge buildup on the surface layer and quickly attracts dust and lint at points of contact.

MM
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

philly_cheese_s
Level 8
Yeah I have a P9X79 gonna try to straighten the pins so I can test my other components.......

philly_cheese_s
Level 8
Well all my other parts are good, I think something just ground out on the board?