cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first build in over 9 years. I'm so happy!

Shaydow
Level 7
So I finally after 9 years got to build a new PC from the ground up. Having another child in that time span meant only upgrades, and even those sporadically as hardware failed / at some point became TO outdated. It's been a long time. I mean my current PC I'm typing this on is an Intel Core 2 Duo @3.16 with 8 gigs of ram and a GeForce 560 Ti, just to give you an idea of what I have and why I am SOOO exited for this build!

So I was poking around here, since I was getting the ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME as the main board when I went into this. I choose this board as it seemed top of the line, and as we all know, the MB is the core to any good starting build. Anyway, I want to say that this forum REALLY helped me out in choosing components for my build, I mean, I didn't even THINK about what m.2 even MEANT before I started reading about something else here, got sidetracked, followed a different link, and learned all about how to install it. Funny, I didn't even know what it WAS and was learning how to install an OS on it properly lol. Since you guys helped me out without even knowing it, I wanted to share with you my final build.

I call it "Whoopee!" :

Case : Corsair Graphite Series 760T
Mother Board : ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME
Processor : Intel Core i7-5930K
RAM : G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 3000
Power Supply : Cooler Master V1200 - Fully Modular
Video Cards : MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G in 2x SLI
CPU Cooling : DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 360
Boot / OS Drive : SAMSUNG XP941M.2 256GB PCIE
OS : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-Bit ( I know 8 might be better. I like 7 and will upgrade to 10 )
Game Drive : Intel 730 Series 480GB SATA 6Gb/s
Monitor : ASUS PB287Q Black 28" 4K UHD

PERIPHERAL :
Mad Catz R.A.T.5 Gaming Mouse
SteelSeries Merc Stealth ( Already owned and not purchased in this build )

OTHER ( package deal ) :

Rosewill RTK-015 15 Piece Standard Computer Tool Kit
Rosewill RTK-002 Anti-Static Wrist Strap
Arctic Silver Arcticlean Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier ACN-60ML (2-PC-SET)
Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound
NVIDIA Witcher 3: Wild Hunt GTX Game Bundle X2 ( one for me and one for my wife. Hey it was 2 bucks ).

Free / Inluded :
Razer - RZ04-00870700-R3M1 - World of Tanks Kraken Pro - Wired Stereo Headset

NewEgg rush processing, 3 day Delivery Shipping selected on all components. Grand total : $3977.89 USD

So how did I do?

P.S : this is already ordered so no going back now 😛

*EDITED P.S *: Asus guys : I want you to know I wanted to go with the ASUS STRIX-GTX970 2x in SLI, but NewEgg themselves had it sold out, and the closest competitor that they sold through was going to be almost 100 bucks more per card! I had already swpaed out a single 980 for 2 970's after learning about SLI, and had to pay about a 100 bucks more for the 2 vs the 1, when I saw your card would be ANOTHER 200 bucks more on top of that, and that the MSI card also fit the Color Scheme, I went with the MSI. Nothing against you guys, AT ALL.
15 REPLIES 15

Chino
Level 15

Shaydow
Level 7
I forgot to mention my budget was 4k usd, no more. So again, how did I do? I know some parts may seem overkill, like the PSU, and I could have cut that down and used the money for 2x 980's, but I really wanted to future proof the essentials as best as I could, namely things like the mother board, processor, and the power supply. These 3 choices to me seemed like the most important ones, and so while it way seem a BIT overkill, I hope you can understand why I did it.

*edit* and also the monitor. I REALLY hope that thing was worth it. It was a LARGE chunk of my budget.

Chino
Level 15
The beauty about building your own PC is that you use whatever parts you want. Some go for or maximum performance while others just wantawesome aesthetics. Either way, you did a great job picking your components considering that you have been out of the game for a while. There's a subform here for build logs if you're up for it. 😉

Chino wrote:
The beauty about building your own PC is that you use whatever parts you want. Some go for or maximum performance while others just wantawesome aesthetics. Either way, you did a great job picking your components considering that you have been out of the game for a while. There's a subform here for build logs if you're up for it. 😉

Thanks 🙂 You are the one I THINK that taught me all about the m.2 aren't you? Thank you, if you are, I had 2 normal Intel SSD's, one for my boot and one for my game drive, before I followed a link to your post.

I appreciate the feedback from you. If by build log you mean you want me to keep track of the build, taking pics and all that along the way, point me in the direction of that subforum ( sorry new here ). I already thought of doing it. I'm going to use this as a teaching experience for my two girls, one 12 1/2 and one is 7. As the parts come and I put it together, I want to show them what everything does and how to compare it logically to the Human Body. I have MB as BODY, Processor as Brain, RAM as Heart, Video cards as optical processing, so far. 🙂 I hope to really have fun with them as WE all build this. The two of them just started spring break and all of these parts should come, it will be a lot of fun 🙂

Shaydow
Level 7
Hi all. Just an update, the first of my parts started to arrive today! Heck almost all of them, expect sadly the CASE! ( and monitor, and the mouse lol ). I thought about doing an outside case test build to insure working parts NOW, but as my wife put it " If you do that, you're going to have an even harder time waiting for the case ". She's right, so I might as well wait the 2 more days before I do anything.

That being said I had some thoughts today I wanted to ask before I'm ready to put her all together about OS. Has anyone been using the beta version of 10 with this build? Would it be worth it to just install it from the get go From USB thumb or should I wait and stick with good old 7 for the time being? Anyone have any thoughts / experience? I would appreciate them!

Thanks for reading.

Chino
Level 15
It's always a wise decision to test it outside the case before putting everything in. The cardboard box makes an awesome testbench I must say. 🙂 Regarding the OS, I guess it's a matter of choice. Personally I don't like being a BETA tester so I always wait for the final product.

Chino wrote:
It's always a wise decision to test it outside the case before putting everything in. The cardboard box makes an awesome testbench I must say. 🙂 Regarding the OS, I guess it's a matter of choice. Personally I don't like being a BETA tester so I always wait for the final product.

Oh I plan on doing one. What my wife was saying was that if I do one now, WITHOUT the case, it will be so much more harder for me to have to wait for the case and put it all together and USE it. I still plan on doing an outside case test build ( I've always done this with water cooling even if AIO water blocks are new to me ( still have my reserator 1 plus. Man I would love to still use this thing, I loved it ), I just want to wait until I have EVERYTHING, including the case and possibly the monitor, before I do one.

*edit* Where is the Build Log Sub forum? Am I blind?

Korth
Level 14
I still have a SteelSeries Merc Stealth, too. Excellent (but not quite perfect) layout for fps gaming, horrible for actual typing, a horror for programming or other Numpad-intensive tasks. Built like a panzer and dominates the desk, best keyboard backlighting implementation I've ever seen (aside from the limited colour/brightness options).
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]