cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z - possible failure?

Zerg2905
Level 7
Dear all,

Here is the issue: after approx. 1 year of flawless use, and (this is interesting) after I have installed (and played seriously) Far Cry 4 I started to experience sudden and random SYSTEM deaths (complete shut down), either in mid-gaming or even after boot and Windows start.

Each and every time, the ONLY solution was to power off (power supply switch to 0), waited for 5 minutes, power on from the switch again, and everything went fine again...until the next failure...and...

Recently, the system died after loading Windows. After repeating the above operation (and even plugged off / in the power cable), only the Supreme FX, Start and Go LEDs were on. But after pressing Start LED etc nothing happens. Q code led was OFF, so no clues from that at all. All fans: off. The ONLY thing that I was able to notice was an internal "click" of the power supply.

What do you think?

Thank you - any ideas are highly appreciated.

Zerg

Configuration:
ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z
AMD FX 8350
Kingston HyperX 2400 16 Gb
nVidia GTX 690
Kingston SSD V300 120 Gb
4 HDDs (WD, various)
ASUS BluRay writer
2 REPLIES 2

chris635
Level 7
I would guess the power supply is the problem. If it is that (I'm thinking it is, I could be wrong ), lets hope it didn't take anything with it.
Chris...Have a nice day.

Zerg2905
Level 7
Hi,

Yes, you are right - the Antec HCP 100 Platinum seems to be the issue. I have bought (while waiting for the verdict from the authorized service) a very cheap power supply (750W) an everything works, even during some stress tests.

So, beware of the expensive Antec power supply unit(s)! I think I will change the manufacturer...

Thank you.

Zerg