cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maximus v formula - A2 and short bios beep?

swedish_geek
Level 7
Hi

Bought an used maximus v formula from a hardware store in good condition with all the parts in the box.
Have moved over all the hardware from my "old" pc and when I try to boot it up to install operating system I get a short bios beep and then almost instantly an A2 error code.

Have double checked and the disc and cables works fine, have also check so they all are plugged in but so far nothing seems to work, reading around here I did stumble across "http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?21823-Maximus-V-not-booting-with-mPCIe-card-plugged-in-Try... and yes the mpcie card is installed but is behind a fat radiator but is that the best action to do right now, try and unplug it for now and then try and reattach it when I've installed the operating system?

Hardware:
maximus v formula
i5 2500k using a corsair h70 to keep it cold
2 sandisc ultra II 240gb to be raid 0 for operatingsystem drive
1 seagate 2tb harddrive for movies/games that don't primarly need fast loading speed, later I'll buy a small msata ssd to work as cache for the harddrive. As soon as I've the pc is up and runing I will scheduel weekly backups to the harddrive and an extra copy to my nas runing four 2tb drives in raid 5 to secure my data vs the risk with raid 0 on main drive.
have 1 corsair xms 4gb in dimslot 1, will put in a total of 4x4gb when I know the pc is good to go.
xonar phoebus sound card, maybe a little overkill with the motherboards own sound but have fallen for it after using it all this time 🙂
asus 6870 directcu is doing all the graphics 🙂
and chieftech nitro 850watt bps-850 is making sure everything gets enough power 🙂

Is using a wooden wall cabinet as a case and a motherboardtray from lian li so I'm not using any of the front I/O functions. Have plugged in the q-connector and a basic 4pin speaker but nothing else.

So after this long wall of text post, is the next step I should take in troubleshooting simply to remove the mpcie as I wrote in the beggining of this post? Have already mounted and dissmounted the radiator 3 or 4 times and don't really want again unless I really have to, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance!

update: have unplugged the mpcie card, graphics card and sound card for now.
Then I got error code B6 and cleared cmos and now I finally get something on the screen, sort of. Stuck at rog post with the text "press delete for bios" but nothing happends when hitting delete multiple times and the error led displays A2 again.
6 REPLIES 6

Nate152
Hello Swedish_geek

Code A2 is either a drive or gpu related error and since you have display it seems you have a drive problem.

Try disconnecting all your drives and booting with just one drive.

I had the same thing happen to me, code A2 on mobo, press DEL to enter bios but nothing happens. My ocz vector was faulty, sent it off for rma and new one works fine but probably for only a year like the last one. haha

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Swedish_geek

Code A2 is either a drive or gpu related error and since you have display it seems you have a drive problem.

I had the same thing happen to me, code A2 on mobo, press DEL to enter bios but nothing happens. My ocz vector was faulty, sent it off for rma and new one works fine but probably for only a year like the last one. haha

Have only the two main disc in, have also tryed only have one plugged in, checked them using my laptop, checked sata cable and power, unplugged and replugged them over 10 times and start to belive that the a2 code is bull and it's something els that is stopping the pc from booting up.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Swedish_geek

Just tryed that with, disconnect all drives, no result, still stack at that lovley red post screen telling me to hit del to get into bios but no respons when I do.

This forum soes not like mobilephone surfers 😫

Nate152
Try disconnecting all your drives and see if you are able to enter the bios.

Nate152
If you're sure your keyboard works then.....

I would contact the store you bought the board from and see if they will replace it or give you a refund. Buying used electronics is always iffy unless you know it works 100% before buying it.

Store contacted, should get cash refund without any hassle. Was hopping to keep my faitfull old sandy bridge friend. Killed a maximus iv extreme when I oc to 5.6 GHz, all sata ports died so guess I burnt the southbridge or something, but the chip so got some fighting in it but I guess it's time for the cpu to go and me to upgrade to haswell refresh 😕