cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU Temp Target doesn't seem to work

WebMaximus
Level 8
Thought I would see if I could overclock my first gen Asus GTX Titan card a bit so I downloaded the GPU tweak tool but I can't get the GPU Temp Target slider to work. By default it's set to 80 C but I prefer to have it at 70 C so I reset it to that value.

However when I then perform a stress-test using FurMark I see how the temp raises above my target temp set to 70 C and still the fan only spins at somewhere between 50-60%.

Why is that, shouldn't the fan speed up to max if so needed when the temp increases above the target temp I decided to use (in my case 70 C)?

Edited to add that I have the Fan Speed slider set to 'Auto'. I also tried the 'User Define' option and tried to configure the fan speed curve manually but it's stuck at 0.30 no matter what I do...not sure how I'm supposed to be able to change the value/curve?
4 REPLIES 4

WebMaximus
Level 8
No comments so far, am I the only one seeing this problem?

Here's a screenshot what it looks like when I try to define the fan speed myself and as you can see many of the 'red dots' seem to be missing when I've compared to online videos demonstrating this feature.

WebMaximus
Level 8
With zero answers I can share with anyone else that to have the user defined fan speed work you need to apply the latest VBIOS found here. Still find it strange though why having the fan speed set to 'Auto' doesn't increase the fan speed over 55-60% when the temp goes beyond the set target temp...

Then I now found another issue. After playing around in GPUTweak the boost clock all of a sudden is 1006 MHz rather than 876 MHz which is the standard boost clock for my card. This even after hitting the default and apply buttons in GPUTweak. The only way now I'm able to get the boost clock down to the correct default value of 876 MHz is by entering a negative offset value...normally to achieve the standard boost clock the offset would be set to 0.

Have created a support ticket regarding this since there doesn't seem to happen that much in here...

Hello,

I realize your post is 2 years old, but I am experiencing the same issues exactly with 980ti. Did you ever resolve it? Thank you for your help!

WebMaximus wrote:
With zero answers I can share with anyone else that to have the user defined fan speed work you need to apply the latest VBIOS found here. Still find it strange though why having the fan speed set to 'Auto' doesn't increase the fan speed over 55-60% when the temp goes beyond the set target temp...

Then I now found another issue. After playing around in GPUTweak the boost clock all of a sudden is 1006 MHz rather than 876 MHz which is the standard boost clock for my card. This even after hitting the default and apply buttons in GPUTweak. The only way now I'm able to get the boost clock down to the correct default value of 876 MHz is by entering a negative offset value...normally to achieve the standard boost clock the offset would be set to 0.

Have created a support ticket regarding this since there doesn't seem to happen that much in here...

WebMaximus
Level 8
Sorry but it was a long time ago now since I abandoned Asus due to lots of weird issues with their hardware and mostly a very lame or even close to zero interest shown from Asus side when posting in their forums or sending them support tickets.

I'm now running MSI exclusively and the issues I've had for the last couple of years have been very easy to count and they have all been swiftly addressed when I asked for help in their support forums. In comparison with Asus it's like night and day!

I realize this doesn't help you but this was my "solution" and I'm very happy with it to be honest.

Good luck sorting your issue mate!