cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra cooling intake for g750js

TulnukaWara
Level 7
Hey, i was thinking to make some extra intake openings to Asus rog g750js bottom side. I just thinking, that is this any worth?. I know that this cooling is built to take air from the ram cover so its cooling hdd-s and allso ram. But its too hot when it reaches fans. And i was thinking... if i make some extra intake near cooling fans, it will improve the temps for cpu and gpu. And im thinking that if cpu and gpu are cooler, then the whole laptop is cooler. (ram,hdd included) So what do you think? Is it worth it? Have anyone done it before ?
13 REPLIES 13

TulnukaWara
Level 7
Image I was thinking to do it like this 🙂 This position is right under fan intake 🙂

hmscott
Level 12
TulnukaWara wrote:
Hey, i was thinking to make some extra intake openings to Asus rog g750js bottom side. I just thinking, that is this any worth?. I know that this cooling is built to take air from the ram cover so its cooling hdd-s and allso ram. But its too hot when it reaches fans. And i was thinking... if i make some extra intake near cooling fans, it will improve the temps for cpu and gpu. And im thinking that if cpu and gpu are cooler, then the whole laptop is cooler. (ram,hdd included) So what do you think? Is it worth it? Have anyone done it before ?

TulnukaWara wrote:
I was thinking to do it like this 🙂 This position is right under fan intake 🙂

TulnukaWara, not a good idea 🙂

You are forgetting that if you cut out those intakes just below the heat exchangers you will cut off the air pressure that is drawing cooling air from over the motherboard - that is used to cool the parts not touched by the heat plates and heat pipes, so those components won't get cooled.

By short circuiting the air flow over the motherboard, the intake air will be a little cooler because it won't have spent time coming over the hot motherboard components, so the CPU / GPU will get a 2-3 degree temperature reduction, but at the cost of cooking the rest of the motherboard.

You aren't the first person to come up with this genious idea, that's where the cooling numbers came from, their "hacked up laptop" experiment. I hope they plugged the holes they cut in their poor laptop...

You don't need to cool the CPU/GPU by a couple of degrees only to cook the drives or motherboard components cooled by the current air flow pattern, as carefully designed by Asus engineers.

You could have left the thermal paste the way it was too, the original paste job done by Asus was just fine.

If you wanted to buy a laptop to experiment with cooling technology, you should have bought an Alienware or MSI laptop - those have poor cooling implementations that actually need help. Then your potential improvements could help those poor people with Alienware / MSI laptops that are thermal throttling under normal operation.

The Asus G750 and even the G751 don't need this kind of help. 🙂

TulnukaWara
Level 7
ok then, i guess i have to use cooling pad then 🙂 but i just couldnt leave the original Asus thermal paste because i had gpu temps up to 92c. It was too much 🙂 But ok then that was bad idea i guess 🙂

TulnukaWara wrote:
ok then, i guess i have to use cooling pad then 🙂 but i just couldnt leave the original Asus thermal paste because i had gpu temps up to 92c. It was too much 🙂 But ok then that was bad idea i guess 🙂

TulnukaWara, even at 92c you probably weren't Thermal Throttling, that is the point where Intel designed the CPU to protect itself by reducing performance to reduce heat generation. Did hwinfo64 show Thermal Throttling?

Logging the temperature every second with hwinfo64, would show how serious the heat problem is, and most people find that even though a high temperature is reached during monitoring it is only reached briefly once, and the rest of the time the temperatures are well under the peak reading.

This is also true of Thermal Throttling, it happens one second, and the next it stops, and doesn't come back - except on the MSI / Alienware laptops that have design issues with their cooling - those will sustain Thermal Throttling.

The JM/JS/JZ are a special case, the first time Asus used Optimus in their G750 line, and the peak CPU temperatures for those hit 10c higher than the previous G750's Haswell laptops - the JW/JX/JH. Genius Intel put the heat generating power of a GPU on the same die as their CPU - so now the CPU loses head room in it's cooling potential, and the average load temp went up 10c.

Your JS is one of those affected, but even so I don't think it was a problem you needed to fix, Asus would have re-pasted for you under warranty if you were Thermal Throttling. Otherwise they would have said it didn't need re-pasting.

The problem with doing this, especially if it seems successful, is that many others will read about it, and some will try it and mess up their laptop in the process.

And, none of them needed to do it 🙂

TulnukaWara
Level 7
i think i will buy some mechanical keyboard, and 27" monitor and use cooling pad for better thermals. Because i use this laptop mainly stationary. But thanks for the fast feedback 🙂

TulnukaWara wrote:
i think i will buy some mechanical keyboard, and 27" monitor and use cooling pad for better thermals. Because i use this laptop mainly stationary. But thanks for the fast feedback 🙂

TulnukaWara, cooling pads aren't effective for the G750/G751, not woth the $. That was what I found for my G750 and others have reported for their G750/G751.

Unless you plan on injecting refridgerated air into the vents, moving more air into the laptop isn't going to make the exhaust fans increase output capacity... it doesn't work that way. And, the outside of the laptop stays cool, so any additional heat reduction won't show up there either.

If you do use an external keyboard/mouse/screen, don't close the lid, leave the screen up an inch or two, or all the way up and let heat conduction do its thing, I have heard the G751 is helped more by this because it doesn't have a sealed keyboard/top as do the G750's

Please let us know if you find any additional method that is effective for cooling 🙂

TulnukaWara
Level 7
Actually this cooling pad makes difference. If its cooling the laptop case from under it , then fans allso get more cooled air in. I touched the plastic bottom plate on laptop after gaming on cooling pad. And it was cool. Actually i got 1-5c temp drop from it. And whole laptop is so cool. Top aluminum cover is so cold that its even not comfortable to hold hands on it. So it makes difference. I dont know why, but maybe i have some kind of factory fault with my laptop. But it does not matter. And i plan to keep my laptop open all times, because i want to use that monitor for second one. I just ordered Benq rl2755hm monitor and i have Razer Deathadder. I will buy some mechanical keyboard allso, but not sure what. And i use cooling pad. So i think its a myth that cooling pads are not useful for g750 🙂 I see difference. Its not big difference but if i use it for stationary setup and i dont have to use laptop keyboard, its good enough for me. And hdd and ssd runs ~10c cooler with that cooling pad. Its a fact 🙂

TulnukaWara wrote:
Actually this cooling pad makes difference. If its cooling the laptop case from under it , then fans allso get more cooled air in. I touched the plastic bottom plate on laptop after gaming on cooling pad. And it was cool. Actually i got 1-5c temp drop from it. And whole laptop is so cool. Top aluminum cover is so cold that its even not comfortable to hold hands on it. So it makes difference. I dont know why, but maybe i have some kind of factory fault with my laptop. But it does not matter. And i plan to keep my laptop open all times, because i want to use that monitor for second one. I just ordered Benq rl2755hm monitor and i have Razer Deathadder. I will buy some mechanical keyboard allso, but not sure what. And i use cooling pad. So i think its a myth that cooling pads are not useful for g750 🙂 I see difference. Its not big difference but if i use it for stationary setup and i dont have to use laptop keyboard, its good enough for me. And hdd and ssd runs ~10c cooler with that cooling pad. Its a fact 🙂

TulnukaWara, I wasn't talking about cooling the skin of the laptop, I was talking about cooling the CPU/GPU while under heavy load further with a cooling pad.

Run a stress test and monitor the temperature with hwinfo64 - log it for later viewing to plot the temperature over time. Then put the laptop on the cooling pad and run the test again. For fun run it with the cooling pad fans off and then again with them on.

Cooling the skin on the laptop doesn't help cool the CPU/GPU, and if cooling the skin makes using the wrist rests uncomfortably cold, then that isn't exactly helpful.

If you are monitoring the HDD/SSD temps and it helps with those, that's great, the air circulation inside the laptop for the drive bays doesn't seem great. It sounds like heat conduction cooling through the case is helping.

Are you sure they just weren't idle for a long period and dropped in temperature? My SSD's drop down to 28/29c when idle, but under load get pretty hot, like 40/41c.

When people talk about using a cooling pad to cool down the laptop, they are talking about the CPU/GPU temperatures under load.

If you like the position the pad holds the laptop, over and above any temperature reduction, that's cool too 🙂

TulnukaWara
Level 7
My setup now 😛