cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double boot on Maximus VI Formula

vonpewdzz
Level 7
Since a couple of weeks, I have been getting double boots (cold and warm).

The system starts up, boots for a couple of seconds, shuts down and successfully boots to windows.

A quick rundown on my setup (that, mind you, has been working for about 10months)

Maximus VI Formula
Intel 4770K
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1600Mhz
Corsair a860i PSU
2x WD RED 3TB (raid0)
2x Samsung 840 SSD 240GB (raid0)
MSI GTX780Ti Gaming

I've tried updating the BIOS to 1603, downgrading it to back to 1402, unplugging all USB devices to see if double boot happens (it does)
re-seated all hardware components, even re-installed the system.. still having this issue.

Can anyone shed some light here? 😞

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

NemesisChild
Level 12
Are you by chance turning off power to the board or using a UPS?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

My apologies, I should have mentioned this before. But no, I'm not switching the power to the board off nor am I using a UPS.

jab383
Level 13
Hi vonpewdzz, and welcome.

The stutter of a boot is normal and intentional when booting from complete power-off, hence NemesisChild's question. BIOS checks out hardware components, mostly memory, then applies the startup conditions needed on the second boot.

If standby power is maintained, it should take one try to boot as long as the CPU, DRAM, etc. overclock is stable. Unstable overclock can cause repeated booting even after standby power has been on.

Jeff

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't overclocked the machine. The only thing out of the standard configuration is the memory profile (xmp) since the RAM is 1600mhz. Also, this has worked for over 10months with no problems. But i can try and set it back to default and swe if that solves it.

vonpewdzz
Level 7
Ok, so I've tried going for the default settings on the BIOS with no xmp profile this time and the machine still keeps double booting. I'm not sure what else I can try 😞

jarsee
Level 7
What version of the BIOS are you using? I have the same motherboard as you do and also the double booting problem before. I just the BIOS to a later version and it solved the issue completely. Since the update, my system is running smoothly without the double boot.

vonpewdzz
Level 7
Version 1603. I think it's a BIOS related issue. I've checked on a friend's machine (same motherboard, same bios vers. 1603) and he has some additional options which i can't see, like voltages being displayed in front of the options you can change, some info on the motherboard displayed on his BIOS but not on mine. I've reinstalled the BIOS (still version 1603) and now these options are also visible on my machine. I haven't checked for the double boot issue yet. but will report back later on today if it's still there.
also, before the bios re-installation, I always had an issue in device manager with Intel MEI and after the BIOS re-install that was solved too.. so yeah.. I'll let you guys know!

vonpewdzz
Level 7
Ok did a couple of checks, all seems fine. I guess it was a BIOS flashing issue..