cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula-Z - 2400MHz with 32Gb RAM?

Sundar
Level 7
So this is a topic I've been searching for some conclusive answers on for a few days now, without managing to find anything "definitive" on the subject.

I, without doing the requisite research, had always planned to bang 32GB of 2400Mhz RAM into this board. I'd intended that to be Corsair's Dominator Platinum. Now the time is finally here, I've been checking around to make sure it actually works but have only found a ton of confusing, often conflicting (mis)information on the topic.
Finally finding the QVL, I see very little mention of Corsair anywhere on the list, but there is the G.SKILL F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD(XMP) 32GB ( 4x 8GB )

So, do any you guys have real, practical experience of trying either tried the Dominator Plats or another set of 32gb 2400Mhz (perhaps the G.Skills) and have any feedback you can share?
I am sorry for creating another RAM question thread, I imagine it comes up fairly often, but lack of consensus online has me in consternation right now.

I'd like to mention a few things:
- I'm running a very stable FX 9590 right now on a 1000w PSU, currently with just 2x4GB 1600MHz
- I game heavily and record footage, editing, processing and rendering hundreds of gigabytes of audio and video on a daily basis.
- I'm kind of aware that 2x8GB is likely more than typically ever needed, just had my sights set on this config.
- Well aware of the "value / performance" equation, especially when it comes to Corsair. It's just one of those things I gotta do.

In closing, thanks for taking the time to read and perhaps post your feedback. I'd love to hear from people who have successfully attained what I'm aiming for here, if they think it's worth it. Why I should or shouldn't do this, or other compatible brands of RAM that would be more suitable etc.
30 REPLIES 30

elesde
Level 10
I know this probably won't help much, just wanted to say getting 32GB to run on 1866 was not without problems already.
Had to put the CPUNB LLC to high for a stable operation and any overclocking beyond 1900 was just unstable no matter what I did (might be partially the RAMs fault too).

From what I've read the FX line does not really gain much if anything from high RAM speeds, imo better to go with something along 1800-2000 and try to get the timings as low as possible.

If you do go for the full 32GB on 2400 I'd love to hear how it turns out, at least in theory the NB on the 9590 should be able to handle those speeds 😄

chris635
Level 7
I don't have any experience with 32gb corsair kit, but I do have the 16 gb (4X4 sticks) gskill trident kit running at 2432 mhz. I am also running my CPU/NB at 2736 mhz and to do this I need about 1.42v on the CPU/NB (using regular LLC) and 1.65v or so on the ram. At these speeds, I have picked up about 4 to 5 FPS on games and benchmarks for memory and cache are higher. That being said, you will not necessarily notice a huge difference in every day computing. If you are creating video content, then yes, you will notice the difference in rendering time, not a huge amount. Your IMC on the CPU will determine the outcome as it is chip dependent on whether your IMC can handle it...silicone lottery.

Chris...Have a nice day.

Wow those are some serious clocks and voltages 😄

Just curious are you sure those few extra fps come from increased memory frequency and not the NB overclock?

elesde wrote:
Wow those are some serious clocks and voltages 😄

Just curious are you sure those few extra fps come from increased memory frequency and not the NB overclock?

I checked that my self initially and yes, the FPS was from memory frequency. The cache and latency was all CPU/NB overclock.
Chris...Have a nice day.

blppt
Level 7
Without changing the NB voltage or LLC, i've been able to secure 1866mhz with 32gb of AMD Radeon memory (rebadged Patriot). But, only with the slow, default timings of 13-13-13-42. Bear in mind though, I am running slightly oc'd 9590 @ 5ghz constant, and it does make a difference in memory stability, for some reason. In another words, if I dropped the cpu down to stock settings, I could get the system stable at 1866 with 10-10-11-30.

blppt wrote:
Without changing the NB voltage or LLC, i've been able to secure 1866mhz with 32gb of AMD Radeon memory (rebadged Patriot). But, only with the slow, default timings of 13-13-13-42. Bear in mind though, I am running slightly oc'd 9590 @ 5ghz constant, and it does make a difference in memory stability, for some reason. In another words, if I dropped the cpu down to stock settings, I could get the system stable at 1866 with 10-10-11-30.

If you want to keep those timing's, I think you'll need more voltage on the CPU/NB, Which just adds more heat. This is what I am running 24/7. The voltage on this was high because I was checking LLC for the cpu on high verses ultra high. I have since gone back to ultra high.

Chris...Have a nice day.

BeefSquatch
Level 7
I'm stable running 32gb of Kingston Savage X 1866, with timing set to 9-10-11, per kingston's specs. I know this isn't super helpful but just wanted to let you know it is possible to be stable with 32gigs

BeefSquatch wrote:
I'm stable running 32gb of Kingston Savage X 1866, with timing set to 9-10-11, per kingston's specs. I know this isn't super helpful but just wanted to let you know it is possible to be stable with 32gigs

All first hand info is helpful mate, thanks!
I've taken the plunge and got 32gb of 2400. I'm hoping there wont be problems adjusting the the timings or dialling down the frequencies to get it stable.
I'll get a standard edit set up to render and try it with a different configs to see what works best in that regard.
Expensive experiment but my curiosity has been piqued and thanks for the help, you guys helped me make up my mind to just go for it!

Quick update for anyone wondering the same as I was. I've installed the Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 2400MHz kit on the Crosshair V Formula-Z and it works with no issues.
I set the NorthBridge to 2400MHz in BIOS and that's all really.

The AMD FX 9590 now runs a fair bit hotter despite the Corsair H110i GT liquid cooler. I always have a bit of trouble discerning true temperatures but pretty sure it's idling now, having done very little, under 30 degrees in quiet mode, but during spells of GTAV and rendering sessions I've seen it above 40 degrees.

I'm not so clued in on overclocking and benchmarking, but I did do my own pseudo-scientific tests using a video I had ready to render to see what realworld benefits various configurations yielded, and how stable it was under load.
There was actually one bluescreen, very rare on this machine so far, while rendering the video a second time, directly after completing it first time round using the 32GB @ 2400MHz configuration. Since then I've had no issues, including while gaming (GTAV, Cities: Skylines), recording said games and editing/rendering. So willing to give that a pass as a Sony Movie Studio Platinum anomoly.

In short: The Crosshair V Formula-z can run 32GB of RAM at 2400MHz, but seems to generate a lot of heat doing so.
Thanks for your input and helping me decide whether to give it a try or not. I will update this if any more information comes to light, and please, if you spot anything I've done incorrectly, do point it out.

For those with more than a passing interest; below are some details of the "testing" I did.
The results are far from comprehensive, but give some small indication of performance gained.

Parameters and Method
The test used a 17GB, 8 minute 46 second, 1080@30fps recording of GTAV. I used all my usual amature editing effects. Transitions, fades, overlays, overlay animations and audio channel volume envelope shaping, and produced an 8 minute 36 seconds, 861MB mp4.

I tested 3 configurations, and rendered the video 3 times on each. First I would cold start the computer switch cooling to performance mode, and render the file. Upon completion, I would immedietly render the file a second time. Then restart the computer and render a third time.
Noting time to completion I would compare the average and best times of each configuration. Cold boot then render was always quickest.

Memory Configurations
Common: AMD FX 9590 4.7GHz with 5GHz boost stock, ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z, GALAX Hall of Fame GTX980, 1000w PSU. Sony Movie Studio Platinum, rendering on the CPU (not GPU)
Test 1: 8GB Kingston Hyper X Beast @ 1600MHz
Test 2: 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 2400MHz
Test 3: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 2400MHz

Results
Test 1: 8GB @ 1600MHz
Best time to render = 1125seconds
Average time to render = 1130seconds

Test 2: 16GB @ 2400Mhz
Best time to render = 977seconds
Average time to render = 989seconds

Test 3: 32GB @ 2400Mhz
Best time to render = 971seconds
Average time to render = 978seconds

As you can see, there is a noticable 12.5%-13.26% reduction moving up to 16GB @ 2400Mhz over 8GB @ 1600MHz
But surprisingly, to me at least, increasing to 32GB yielded just a scant, but consistent, 1% gain over the 16GB config.

Perhaps using a much larger file (often my recordings exceed 150GB, sometimes as much as 250GB) would demonstrate the advantages of 32GB but I really have no idea. The gain in moving up from 8GB @1600MHz to 16GB @2400MHz is a tangible one and seems a good proposition considering the other areas an improvement such as this will certainly benefit, but 32Gb really hasn't given any noticable improvements and does not seem like a good option if one were to consider "value for money" as an important factor.
I was very curious to see first hand how this would play out and I think the thirst for that knowledge really was the reason I opted for the 32GB set. While all this took a while, I did find it quite fun... such a nerd.
Hope someone finds this post informative or interesting, I might attach my data below if I can see a way to do so for extra nerdage.