cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M4E SB and NB temps

valarmorghulis
Level 7
Hi guys I have a maximus iv extreme (non-z) with a 2500k @ either 4.0ghz (1.18v) or 4.5ghz(1.28v). Running in offset mode, llc disabled, powerphase is in asus optimised mode, pll overvoltage diasabled.

On hwmonitor, i notice my SB temps idle at 50c, underload increases a few degrees. NB temps are around 40. My room air is 30c (singapore is on fire now).

Are these temps normal? also what is southbridge? I dont really understand what wiki says :rolleyes:
4 REPLIES 4

Spathi
Level 9
I don't use any asus software, use RealTemp to test you loads etc. Anyway on RealTemp, my temps are 47*C-50*C idle. I have our heater on so it might be 23 or 24 in the house.

My CPU is passively cooled so it gets up to 88 or 90 loaded at standard 3.8 OC. I think the Sandy cut out is just above 90 so its OK if u are 90 or below.

This is a SB (an the sensor), yous might be similar.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?4386-Maximus-IV-Gene-Z-motherboard-Temp&p=47378&viewfull=1...
Looks like my CPU idle was 28*C when I could be bothered tweaking the bios, lol.
The trick to reducing heat at idle is probably VCCIO, that is what I used to lower to match my low volt ram... but I would not worry too much, just play games.
https://www.google.com.au/search?as_occt=any&as_q=spathi+VccIO+site:rog.asus.com

I realised why my south bridge temps are 10 degrees higher than the other components. My new GPU is a GTX970 which is has semi-passive cooling, the fans only start spinning when gpu temps exceed 60. As a result when im just idling on my desktop, the fans wont spin. Now, the SB is situated just below the GPU. As a result, the SB heatsink receives no air flow. I tried using afterburner to make the fans spin at 40%, immediately SB temps fell by 5 degrees.

Now thats something i dint anticipate when getting the 970 xD

Spathi
Level 9
I leaned slightly my old card to stop a heat pipe heating the bridge chip as much.

I would not worry though, most things can be 90*C and it is probably a false reading from the heatsink on the MB heating the sensor.

kkn
Level 14
well you could get a fan in front that have high MMH2O ( air preshure ) ( not CFM ) to help move some air?