cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to a 980

TetraHydro
Level 7
So I have done a decent amount of studying on how to go about upgrading the g20 and I'm making this thread just make sure I fully understand what I have to do and get a few more questions I still have answered, hopefully.

My G20 has i7, 16gb ram and a gtx745.

I have 1 power supply that is labeled as 100-240v, what power supply, if any, would I need to buy to upgrade to a 980?
Having 2 DC inputs does this mean I run 2 power supplies at the same time?
I've read a lot about reference cards, can I only buy these and a explanation on what this is or a link to one would help alot
If I were to upgrade to a 970 or 960 would I still need another power supply

Finally is there anything else I should be worried about such as not fitting it in, overheating or anything of that nature.

Please feel free to ask for any information, I really need to upgrade from the 745 as it is horrible.
Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7

edmak1804
Level 7
There are alot of threads on this (prolly 3 or 4 started by me lol) But the rule is it HAS to be a reference card. (see, http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?60217-980-GTX-Ref-Models) This basically means the card exhausts out the back of the unit, not through the top (if your new card has two fat fans on the top, its the wrong kind)

With the power supplys you need the one the unit came in (i believe 180W) and an additonal, its like 210-230W (this is basically to run the video card) the G20 series has two unputs on the back

Ravenholme
Level 7
you'll definitely need to get the 180W PSU in addition to the 230w PSU you own already. the 180w will be for the board, you'll have to change the jumpers on the board too. I got the US-009S model (GTX 760 version) so i didn't need to mess with the jumpers on the board.

so do that before getting a new card.

zbs910819
Level 7
If you buy a reference design either 970 980, the airflow is design to be two side, which is different than evga.
But this is no problem and I get temp around 42 at no load, around 78 when playing csgo with fps around 270-290.

one thing you need to know, when 970/980 at full load(405~50% full fan speed) it will compete airflow with CPU, and actually cpu will get more airflow in such such competition, which is bad..... because we want GPU cool down more than cpu

alexyov1
Level 7
i got the EVGA GTX970SC , it sits steady @ 32 idle never been above 70's when running benchmarks, CPU i7 4790 @ 49 degrees steady when idle, Drives 39 degrees only thing that's odd is the MB reading 108 c at all times, i use Speccy v1.28.709 64bit

So I've decided to buy a GTX 970. Here is my shopping list:

- 180w adapter

- gtx 970 ( https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/product/msi-gtx-970-oc-gm204-4gb-grafikkarte-3482028 )

I already have the 230W adapter. Do I need to buy something else? (I own currently a GTX 750 for my ROG G20AJ)

edmak1804
Level 7
Make sure you have a second 6 pin PCIE power connector in your G20 box, new graphics cards do not seem to come with one ( had a 970 last month, exchanged for a 980 this month, neither had an extra power cable)
The one already inside your system MAY be an 8 pin, but that is easily split into a 6 pin

Ravenholme
Level 7
On my end I'm considering waiting after computex in June and seeing when the 980ti will be released since that's when it's pegged to be debuted. however the current promo for the GTX980 is very enticing, coming with promo codes for Batman Arkham Knight & Witcher 3. So... what should I do... >_>

Clearly since everyone here says the Titan X is a no go 😛 (I want someone to try and confirm... lol)