cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to add more RAM to G53SX

mjpereira76
Level 7
So I purchased the G53SX mostly because of the price and the fact that it can take up to 16GB of RAM. The problem is, how do I actually get to the slots??? There is one slot behind the keyboard and I am guessing the other free slot is underneath. I tried different techniques to remove the palm rest but it just wouldn't budge. Anyone have any ideas?
11 REPLIES 11

BrodyBoy
Level 10
See if this video helps.

fuzon1337
Level 10
In this FORUM you can see how to open and where the RAM is placed under the KB 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

Awesome, thanks for the update. I also found a great video on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev8y8xlCdHE that shows you exactly how to remove it. Thanks again!

artcgix
Level 7
hello!! I am new to the forum and this is my first post, I bought the Asus G53SX-XT1 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=637425&CatId=4938 and also I want to upgrade it up to its maximum capacity (16GB), ...my question is, Is there any way to tell without opening the keyboard if the laptop came with the 4 slots occupied? In other words, Does it come with 2GB of RAM in each slot? Or it comes with 2 occupied and the other 2 free to insert 4GB on each? ...also What brand of RAM do you recommend? Could you please link to the specific RAM that I need please? Thank you!!! 🙂

BrodyBoy
Level 10
There's a very handy utility called HWiNFO64 that can give that information, and a lot more! Download, install, and run it....and you'll soon know more about your new computer than you ever wanted to know. 😉

I think brands of memory are virtually interchangeable in most cases. Look on Newegg and choose any brand that has lots of good user reviews/ratings. To find out what you need, look (in HWinFO64) at the specs for the memory currently installed, and just match that.

Welcome, BTW! 🐵

thanks for the quick reply!!

CPU-Z will also tell you which slots are populated and with what kind of memory (manufacturer, part numbers, speeds, timings, date of manufacture, etc).
You'll avoid potentially hard-to-track-down errors/BSODs if you ensure that you populate your notebook with sticks from the same manufacturer and of the same part #. DDR3 at speeds 1333MHz and above is notoriously picky about how well it plays with other sticks. Just read some of the Corsair forums.
What I did was open up my laptop (G74) and take note of what sticks were in there (in my case, ASUS used 2x4GB of these: http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=D3-13S4GS). So I bought two more identical ones, and all 16GB work well together.

Not saying that you can't mix them up, but its risky that you'll end up being stuck with DDR3 sticks that don't play well together.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

artcgix
Level 7
Thanks to BrodyBoy and fostert for your quick replied and help, I downloaded both softwares HWiNFO64 (which is super technical and I don't know half the stuff that is in there,) and CPU-Z which is a lot simpler but it turns out that I can't read it either!! So I am uploading screenshots of the specs to see if you guys or anybody else can help me out to figure out what slots are populated and with what kind of memory. Tha first three are from HWiNFO64 and the other one from CPU-Z... Thank you!! 🙂

Excuse my ignorance, but this is my first time doing it, so it will be of great help if you can tell me what especifications to look for when buying the extra memory...

BrodyBoy
Level 10
No problem. You currently have two 204-pin DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600) 4Gb SODIMMs, with a Cas latency rating of 9. and voltage rating of 1.5V.

So you basically need two more of those. Those are Samsung modules, so if you want to stay with that brand, you can google the exact part no: Samsung M471B5273DH0-CH9. If you can't find the exact same brand/part, you can get something else that matches those specs above. The closest 4Gb modules on Newegg, for example, are similar Samsung modules with a different part number.