cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VII Hero CPU fan headers and DC mode

Kavanaughty
Level 7
Hi folks, going to be using a Maximus VII Hero for my new build but there are a few uncertainties regarding the CPU fan headers that I'm trying to clear up before I proceed.

I'll be cooling an i7-4790K with an H105 in push-pull configuration (using four 1850 RPM Gentle Typhoons which draw roughly 0.36 amps each, so I'll be able to fit two on each CPU header with splitters). These fans are 3-pin, thus their speed can only be controlled through voltage regulation in DC mode. The problem is this: I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to whether the voltage of 3-pin fans connected to the CPU headers on the Maximus VII Hero can be managed automatically by the motherboard in accordance with temperature changes or if the fans will only run at a constant 12 volts. Is anybody able to confirm this? Does the same go for the chassis headers as well?

Any help is appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

Stinoo
Level 7
3-pin fans can NEVER be automatically adjusted by the motherboard in accordance with the temperature.
The 4th pin is the PWM control pin.

You can however decide to install Asus AISuite 3 which also contains the FanExpert 3 software.
With this software you can control all the fan headers on the motherboard using voltage control.
This roughly means that IDLE your fans are dead silent or even off, and when gaming or whatever your fans will spin accordingly,
as the voltage of your rig will drastically increase (CPU + GPU will draw a lot of power).

Stinoo wrote:
3-pin fans can NEVER be automatically adjusted by the motherboard in accordance with the temperature.
The 4th pin is the PWM control pin.

You can however decide to install Asus AISuite 3 which also contains the FanExpert 3 software.
With this software you can control all the fan headers on the motherboard using voltage control.
This roughly means that IDLE your fans are dead silent or even off, and when gaming or whatever your fans will spin accordingly,
as the voltage of your rig will drastically increase (CPU + GPU will draw a lot of power).

So with AI Suite III/Fan Xpert 3 the fans are automatically controlled with variations in the system's voltage rather than temperature? How effective is this versus automatic fan control in accordance with temperature?

Also, I watched a video on YouTube demonstrating the features of the Maximus VII Hero's UEFI and in Q-Fan it appears as though you can set automatic fan control for temperature changes in both PWM and DC mode. Not sure if it's as simple as that though. Here's the link:

https://youtu.be/MdExYUYnmSQ?t=803

nickbaldwin86
Level 7
That is how I do it. I only have 3 pin fans and I have all of mine set to DC... they speed up as I play and come to a low crawl when posting in forums lol