cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't find what I'm looking for! Gaming Notebook with 120 to 144hz refresh rate?

T4rQu1N
Level 7
Hi all,

This may be a unique situation but I believe my requirements aren't such. I'm currently travelling S.E. Asia and will be settling in Nz for 6-9 months before returning to Europe to live. During this time I'd like to get a gaming laptop, as I don't want to have to build and then sell a rig. I've searched high and low and can't seem to find one that suits my needs, perhaps it doesn't exist?

Requirements:

-mid to high performance... Good framerate, ssd etc. Standard right?
-120 to 144hz refresh rate on the display. Not fussed about 4k, just want reasonable resolution.
-price... Obviously lower is better but understandably you pay for good features.

I think the most important features for me are the high refresh rate of the monitor and an ssd. Sadly I can't find any laptops advertising such displays... Is this not something important to people? I've read high refresh is a power consumption issue, but I'm not buying it to play on the move, it'll be plugged in most of the time.

What do you think?
6 REPLIES 6

hmscott
Level 12
T4rQu1N, high refresh on 1080p screens has come and gone, IDK if we will ever see them, 2k/4k has caught everyone's attention, and passed by the opportunity for 1080p high refresh screens.

The 4k displays need to run at lower resolutions to get a reasonable FPS in games. They won't even vsync at 4k@60fps.

Some have OC'd their G751 IPS screens to 100hz and can run some games at 100 FPS to sync with the display, but that is at 1080p.

Even if we get 1440p or 2160p screens, they won't get greater than 60hz for a while, and will most likely need to scale down to 1080p for gaming even at 60hz.

I wouldn't wait, get a G751JY now and start gaming 🙂

Get an external monitor for high refresh and/or resolution, you will likely need to downscale 2k/4k resolution there too.

Please come back and let us know what you end up getting, and how you like it 🙂

T4rQu1N
Level 7
Thanks hmscott, will read into the overclocking for 100hz stuff. Shame about the numbers game with 2k/4k... You'd have thought companies would have done their marketing properly and figured out what gives the best gaming experience, then built to that requirement rather than pushing premature tech. Take note Asus... Build me a laptop with 1080p 144hz free/gsync and you'll own the mid range market, especially with amd's Carrizo just round the corner... !

dne0gen
Level 7
144hz with gsync isn't exactly mid range.

gazzacbr
Level 10
The obsession for optimus is killing the high refresh rates. the connection to the screen is always made through the intel card and is restricted to 60hz and thats that. there is no direct connection the nvidia gpu.
i was lucky with my JX (although i didnt realise it when i bought it)
the nvidia card is connected internally through a display port and can run at 120Hz.
the intel is physically disconnected and that means no optimess for me to worry about.

your easy option is the fastest laptop/gpu you can afford and an external high refresh screen.
but even then, check the display port and or hdmi versions as earlier vesions of these ports will not have the speed you require.

are there new laptops out there that either do not have optimess or have a bios or physical switch to disable it?

good luck and let us know what you eventually buy.
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16

I have a JX but I can't get it to run any higher than 60hz. Any tips/tricks or am I stuck with what I got?

gazzacbr
Level 10
@Nonpossible: only a 3D version of the JX will run at 120Hz.
basically if you have a shiny screen you have a 3D, if you have a matte screen you have a 2D.
the 3D version should have come with the nvidia 3D glasses, which a a bit of a giveaway 😉 (mine did anyway)
check your exact model number on the bottom of the laptop and search the posts here or online if you are really not sure.
mine is G750JX-CV050H
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16