cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Black Edition

kahless
Level 7
Is it worth it to try to find newer drivers for the Intel Sata, Asmedia Sata, and Chipset drivers elsewhere? Since Asus doesn't really update them anymore being an older motherboard and all.
8 REPLIES 8

Mappi75
Level 8
Hello - I think absolutly YES!

The newest Drivers helped me to solve my problem with resuming from energy saving mode!

I post this yesterday here in the Forum:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?43206-Z87-Windows-8-1-Fast-Startup-and-Hibernation-work-sp...

Quote:

Hi!

I got a Rampage Extreme IV Black (x79) Mobo and have a clean install with Win 8.1 and all drivers from the Asus Webpage.

I have the problem that every time when i activate the energy saving mode in windows on reboot my display is still black.
My monitor did not get any signal.

Now i searched the web for the neweset drivers and installed them:

asmedia_106x_3.0.2.exe
Asmedia_USB3_1.16.24.0.exe
PROWinx64.exe v20.0
SetupChipset.exe v10.0.26
Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Version 10.0.39.1003

Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Intel RST) RAID Driver only version 12.8.0.1016 will work (NOT the newer one: 13.6.0.1002)

Now EVERY time my System will reboot from energy saving mode - and extremly fast.

Maybe replacing these drivers will you help too !?

Regards

Edit:

found another newer driver:
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Version 12.9.4.1000 WHQL

kahless
Level 7
I know that it is said to not update drivers generally if you don't have an issue or have some specific support the new driver creates. But how do you know if you are missing out on something if you don't at least take a look at the release notes for the newer drivers.

John_Au
Level 7
can't hurt to install new drivers if you come across them. If they cause an upset to the system, rollback.
but like you said, if there's no new functionality, and everything is working at its specified performance level in all of your applications, shouldn't need to worry too much about it.

kahless
Level 7
I have poor performance with my 840 Evo and I attribute it to the Asmedia controller which it is connected to. I also have a 840 Pro which is connected to the Intel controller which has much better performance. So I was hoping there was a better Asmedia driver. Here are more Samsung Magician numbers to compare the two.

840 Pro (Intel controller):
Sequential Read: 5,474
Random Read: 174,263
Sequential Write: 4,874
Random Write: 79,384

840 Evo (Asmedia controller):
Sequential Read: 404
Random Read: 61,642
Sequential Write: 391
Random Write: 36,646

SteveLee
Level 7
I believe that there are still firmware issues with some of the Samsung 840 EVO range that appear to cause performance degradation very quickly.
Have a read of this article on Anandtech and see if it applies to you: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9196/samsung-releases-second-840-evo-fix.
There doesn't appear to be much in the way of Asmedia controller firmware releases since 2012 so I wouldn't recommend trying to mess about with the Asmedia firmware.

If you've connected the EVO to the Intel controller for testing and got lower than expected performance then it's likely the Samsung firmware issue that's the cause.

Hope you get it sorted.

kahless
Level 7
I have already got both firmwares from Samsung, the one that came out last year and the one that came out a couple weeks ago. The one that came out a couple weeks ago actually made my numbers go down slightly more. I know that the reviews of the Black Edition board show that the Asmedia controller doesn't have the greatest performance.

ChiefZeke
Level 10
Latest I've found:

atheros_bluetooth_suite_8.0.1.338

asmedia_106x_3.0.2.0

ASMedia_usb3_1.16.22.0

intelChipset_10.0.25_whql

IntelNetworkAdapterDriver20_0

IntelManagementEngineInterface_win7_8.1_10.0.39.1003_**MB

IntelRapidStorageTech13_6_2_1001_WHQL

If I missed or omitted something I'm sure someone else will mention it.
Lian-Li PC-A77F Full Tower case
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1200 ATX12V & EPS12V PSU
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 X79
Intel Core i7-3960X 3.31 LGA 2011 CPU
Intel RTS2011LC Liquid Cooling Solution
Kingston KHX24C11T3K4/32X (quad 32Gb memory kit) 2 each
ASUS Radeon HD7970 DirectCUII 3Gb GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (two in CrossfireX Mode)
Western Digital Cavier Black 2Tb SATA III 6.0GB/S
OCZ Technologies Vertex 4 SATAIII 6Gb/s 512Gb SSD

kahless
Level 7
I tried the asmedia_106x_3.0.2.0 drivers, my random write speed almost doubled, the rest of the numbers are only slightly higher.