cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Gene dead CPU/OPT Fan headers??

DaveImagery
Level 9
Hi everyone,

Just noticed my two cpu fans aren't spinning up. They seemed locked at 600 rpm, regardless of what settings are chosen in Bios, or in fan expert 2.

I'm running a 3770k at 4.2Ghz, temps still read normal. 29c at idle, and around 68-70c under load. Odd thing is, my three case fans ramp up rpm under system load,
but my two cpu fans don't. I'm using the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, with two 4pin pwm fans. Plugged the fans into other ports, and they function properly.
I uninstalled fan expert 2, and cleared CMOS, and reset everything to factory defaults, still no change. Also removed heatsink, and applied fresh thermal compound, temps read more
or less the same, but still locked at 600 rpm.

Spent an hour on the phone with an Asus tech rep yesterday, he finally just suggested RMA'ing the board. He indicated it could be a problem with chip as well, which to me seems unlikely.

Think my board is bad, or CPU??

Really appreciate any help on this, thank you! 🙂

Sys specs:

Fractal Design, Define Mini case
Asus Maximus V Gene Matx mobo
i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz
EVGA GTX 980 vid card
16gb 2133mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum
2 Samsung 840 Pro 256gb SSD's in RAID 0
2 4Gb WD Black storage drives
Corsair 1200i PSU
5 ( 3 case, 2 cpu) Noctua NF-F12 fans
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler
20 REPLIES 20

Nate152
Hello DaveImagery and welcome

What you could do is disable the Q-fan in the bios (I believe it's in the monitoring tab) and see if this ramps your cpu fans to full speed. I know you probably don't want them at 100% but you could try it to see if they ramp up.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello DaveImagery and welcome

What you could do is disable the Q-fan in the bios (I believe it's in the monitoring tab) and see if this ramps your cpu fans to full speed. I know you probably don't want them at 100% but you could try it to see if they ramp up.

Hi Nate, thank you for the reply. That was one of the first things I tried, unfortunately no results. 😞

Nate152

I already had the latest bios, which is 1903 I believe.

Wonder if it's any kind of indication, that when I tried to install SpeedFan this morning, it locks up when detecting sensors?

Edit: maybe thats a SpeedFan software prob, because fan expert 2 shows all temps as normal.

Nate152
if you are using two different fan controlling programs speedfan and fan xpert this could be the problem too. Uninstall speedfan and run the fan tuning utility in fan xpert.

Now see if you are able to control your fans.

Nate152 wrote:
if you are using two different fan controlling programs speedfan and fan xpert this could be the problem too. Uninstall speedfan and run the fan tuning utility in fan xpert.

Yeah I've actually run them independent of each other, by uninstalling each first. This has really got me befuddled, been building systems for years, and have never seen this particular problem. I can't imagine running 5 fans on a high end (at the time) board like this, would be too much amp draw.

Nate152 wrote:

Yeah I've actually run them independent of each other, by uninstalling each first. This has really got me befuddled, been building systems for years, and have never seen this particular problem. I can't imagine running 5 fans on a high end (at the time) board like this, would be too much amp draw.

Nate152
The maximus v gene is still a great board old or not, I'm still running my maximus v extreme and I love it.

5 fans really isn't much, you can put 2 fans on the cpu header and 2 fans on the cpu opt header and if the fans aren't lighted you can hook up 4 fans to each chassis header.

But if you can't control them in any way it might be best to do as the tech says and do an RMA.

Yeah I think you are right. Just doesn't seem likely, that it would be the chip, when it otherwise functions perfectly.

Thank you for your help 🙂