cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeding up boot time.

cbasile
Level 7
I am new to ROG, but not new to building PC's - have at least 25 years experience.

If we define different periods of the boot process:
part a - the black part on the monitor when you first power
part b - the time the BIOS screen (logo) is visible
part c - the screen when the Raid is displayed (and allows a key to get hit to configure)
part d - the time after the RAID screen disappears to the time you are able to login.

On this build, my 'time' for part B is about 53 seconds. I have looked through a lot of threads here yesterday, but don't see or able to search for one with my symptoms.

Rampage V Extreme X99 - i7 5930, Corsair h100i sealed liquid cool, 16 GB of DDR4 2800 (PC4-22400), Windows 8.1 on 240Gb SSD, data on a pair of 2TB Segate 7200K Intel Raid 0.

I have the Bios version of the ROG up to the latest, (I forget the exact version 10... something d/led and applied on 5/25/15.

Ok - all the guru's.. .how do I get part b time down significantly? My goal is to get this to 5 secs or so.

If there is any other info needed to help resolve, just ask!

Thanks for taking the time out to help!

Charlie...
7 REPLIES 7

Praz
Level 13
Hello

What Q-Code is the boot process hanging on? Also what USB devices do you have connected?

cbasile
Level 7
The Q code is 9C. USB devices: Black widows keyboard (2 connections), Taipai mouse, Mamba mouse, Logitech QuickCam Pro9000, connection to UPS, 2TB External backup drive [always powered off at start], Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless controller, Thermaltake Blackx [always powered off on start], connection to USB hub on dell monitor.

Thanks in advance,
Charlie...

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Disconnect all USB devices. Reconnect them one at a time until you find the device or devices that are causing the slow boot process. Once these devices are identified check with the manufacturer of the devices for updated firmware that complies with the latest Intel USB specifications. A possible workaround is disabling xHCI in the motherboard's UEFI. However this will result in all USB ports defaulting to USB 2.0. Dell monitor USB hubs are known to leak DC voltage across the data lines which can also cause this issue.

cbasile
Level 7
Its gets strange... so I did exactly what you suggested - pull out all USB's except for the keyboard. Rebooted and part b of the process was down to maybe to 2 seconds. I added individual devices and rebooted after each 'add' looking at boot 'times.' Now all the original USB devices are back in the computer - and the part b of boot time is maybe 2 seconds. Suggestions? Leave it? Look at something else? So strange...

Charlie...

Praz
Level 13
Hello

If the issue returns you will need to narrow down the non-compliant USB device.

GoNz0-
Level 10
My money is on the ext hard drives or UPS, check them for new firmwares or consider using the USB2 controller for them if the problem returns.

cbasile
Level 7
Yes, I figured even though I didn't narrow it down, to look for updated firmware for all just for good measure. Thanks.