cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Request! Asus G74SX-BBK8

Retired
Not applicable
Hello everyone!

I recently purchased the G74SX-BBK8 from Best Buy and I am not sure if I have a problem. On the back of the laptop where the exhaust fans are, about half of the panel seems to be uncovered and the rest seems to be closed plastic. To clarify, if you are looking at the back of the computer, the vents on the left are completely uncovered. Towards the right side, however, roughly the last 40% or so is simply not open and the vents are there... but simply filled in with plastic. It almost looks as if during manufacturing it was never finished.

Is this how this laptop should be, or is mine defective? Thanks in advance everyone!
10 REPLIES 10

fuzon1337
Level 10
Perhaps you could post a picture so we could see?

I'm not sure, but it sounds something is wrong back with the exhaust.
Maybe JRd1st will help you out here 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

Retired
Not applicable
I really appreciate the fast response! If I posted a picture, might that help?

fuzon1337
Level 10
I don't have that notebook, got the G73, but with your description it sounds something is wrong.

If you post a pic, other members in this forum (who own a G74) could compare their notebook, then they would see if there is something wrong or not 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

Retired
Not applicable
First off, let me apologize for my (lack of) photo editing skills.

To the left of the red line the vents are open. To the right of the red line, the closed vents that I mentioned appear!

Hope this helps!

JRd1st
Level 12
That is exactly the way it's supposed to be, the 2 fans merge into 1 exhaust. Facing the front the exhause is on the right. 😉
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
Are you 100% sure about this? I just would have to have a problem down the line after paying for such an expensive machine!

nicholasairving wrote:
Are you 100% sure about this? I just would have to have a problem down the line after paying for such an expensive machine!

The two cooling outlets aren't exactly merged, but they're right next to each other, and they're off-center. As you can see in this photo, the GPU fan (the right one) is position toward the right side, but the CPU fan is pretty much right in the middle.

JRd1st
Level 12
I have a G74SX and me and another member went through this whole discussion. The we discussed where the air came IN to the unit. Do you think Asus would go through the trouble of making it look like there were radiators/vents there (on the left) when there aren't, by mistake? lol

Don't worry about that, man. 😉
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
When you put it that way, it does kind of sound like a silly question... haha. Thank you very much!!!