cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G53sw Black screen on startup intermittent fault.

Retired
Not applicable
Hey guys, was wondering if you could lend me a hand here.

I purchased a G53sw notebook for gaming and I was quite happy with the product until a fault started appearing. I took my notebook for a trip abroad and after shutting it down, upon restarting it, the screen went completely black, I tried connecting another monitor through the VGA and HDMI ports to no avail.

The laptop booted up and I knew it was working as I could see it in my network and the windows startup sounds were there as well.

I RMA'd it and after a couple of weeks they returned the notebook stating that they didn't find any faults. Sure enough, I boot up my laptop and everything's working fine.

A week later on another trip, same thing happens, screen dies for a couple of days and won't turn on no matter what I do, after 4 or 5 days of this it comes back to life and nothing's wrong. Rinse and repeat.

I'm tired of the unreliability, I don't know whether I can RMA again as the fault might be gone by the time it gets to the support people.

Does anyone have the same problem or have a possible fix? I think the video card is to blame here.

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

Cjbbruns1
Level 7
I have the same problem with the g73, and have sent it in for rma. I'll post the results when I get them. I suspect video card as well.

JRd1st
Level 12
You probably had a bad or loose cable or display panel, and it was good when they looked at it.

I have a feeling they are at the end of the production run and are using the less bad of the bad parts. Companies do that, believe me . . .
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

kalist0
Level 7
omg. i have the exact problem. so how did yours turn out? what is the issue?

JRd1st
Level 12
Polorutz wrote:

I'm tired of the unreliability, I don't know whether I can RMA again as the fault might be gone by the time it gets to the support people.

Does anyone have the same problem or have a possible fix? I think the video card is to blame here.

Thanks!

You can keep RMA'ing all you want. If after the 4th try, for the same problem, they haven't fixed it, they should give you a new notebook. Or something like that . . .
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

dstrakele
Level 14
This issue looks very similar to http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?6123-Display-not-working&p=44672&viewfull=1#post44672

I agree with your diagnosis Dr. JR!
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

I also have this problem. This is the second time! Had it as well 6 months ago. RMA'd it. They fixed it. Worked great until today.

Very disappointed with the Nvidia card. Works great but 2 have died on me.

dstrakele wrote:
This issue looks very similar to http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?6123-Display-not-working&p=44672&viewfull=1#post44672

I agree with your diagnosis Dr. JR!