cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

display driver nvidia windows kernel mode driver version 285.62 stopped responding

Stringy31
Level 7
Anyone else having this issue?

I've just gotten an ASUS G74SX-XT1 4 days ago and I'm already receiving this error with my GTX 560M... Has only happened in firefox but from what I've been reading it gets worse and spreads 😞
11 REPLIES 11

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Do you have all the original Asus software running on it? I suspect it's a conflict with some other program. I've been using that driver for about a month, since it was released. Not so much as a hiccup.

I updated my network card's driver and I've removed some of the obvious bloatware, I haven't even had the machine for a week so I haven't gotten around to clearing anything out...

I updated the driver the day after I got the machine and now 3 days later I've gotten this TDR error 😕 I have rolled the driver back to the one the machine came with. though my searches seem to indicate this may not fix the problem... really bummed about this and not sure if I should try to return the machine.

EDIT: I also ran all the ASUS live updates, as well as installed all the Windows updates.

If you feel it's the new Nvidia driver, you could (1) uninstall it and roll back to one that you felt worked, (2) do a system restore to roll back your whole configuration to an earlier date, or (3) do a factory restore to revert your machine to its out-of-box condition.

As for your "should I return it?" dilemma: The G74 requires "user intervention" to achieve and maintain a fully-functional, reliable operational state, especially if you plan to game on it. This can be anything from the measures you've already taken (remove junk, update some drivers, etc.) to performing a completely new, clean Windows installation. Simply put, it doesn't ship with a good, stable software setup.

For any user that doesn't like to mess with all the optimizing tweaks and procedures, this computer is not a good fit. If that's you, honestly, I'd say return it and avoid the headaches.

If, on the other hand, you don't mind getting your hands dirty, it IS possible to get this thing running reliably. That almost inevitably means performing a clean Windows installation. I really recommend you give that a try before giving up on it. It's a pretty nice computer once you clean out the garbage and let it rip! 🙂

Stringy31
Level 7
I had gone ahead and rolled the driver back, the issue is suppose to start slow and progressively get get worse so I reckon I will give it a few days before/if I'm going to see the error again. I really hope its just the driver but I have a feeling it might be deeper issue which is why I went ahead and asked here. A lot of people are complaining of the issue after updating to a 28X.XX driver and going on to say after installing a non 28X.XX driver the TDRs stopped, however others continue to have the problem, even through reformat.

Problems that happen randomly are the ones that bother me the most, it also bothers me that others (yourself, and fellow gamers running NVIDIA I've talked with) are on 28X.XX drivers and not having the issue while many other are... It just doesn't add up to me.

I mean I'm all for a 'user intervention' machine, but 4 days out of the box I shouldn't be randomly crashing to black screen...

Also, are you using Chrome or Firefox?

dstrakele
Level 14
Stringy31 wrote:

I've just gotten an ASUS G74SX-XT1 4 days ago and I'm already receiving this error with my GTX 560M... Has only happened in firefox but from what I've been reading it gets worse and spreads 😞

Did you configure FireFox to use software rendering instead of GPU rendering? Possibly could help wth this issue....
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

JRd1st
Level 12
Stringy31 wrote:

I was having the problem until I reverted to 285.38. It's been weeks since I had a a crashdump.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Cat
Level 9
Haven't had it on my G74SX, but I did get it a couple times on my G73SW (which I could exchange for the G74 thanks to Intel's recall of various SB mobos). It stopped happening after those couple times, and I don't recall actually doing anything about it.

Jandus
Level 8
Stringy31 wrote:

There are many many threads on the Nvidia forums regarding this issue - the problem lies essentially in web browsing (centered usually around Firefox) with the 28x.xx drivers from Nvidia.

There are many workarounds to the issue:

1. Drivers previous to 28x.xx don't seem to have this problem. Try installing previous versions and see if it makes a difference.
2. Go into Firefox and turn off "Use Hardware Acceleration when Available"
3. Go into the Nvidia Control Panel and change your "Power Management Mode" to "Prefer Maximum Performance"

I did a TON of reading on the issue and it's most definitely the 28x.xx drivers centered around the 'newer' Nvidia chips (i.e. 460GTX, 560GTX, 580GTX, etc)

There's more info on the Nvidia forums (http://forums.nvidia.com) regarding the issue if you wanna check it for yourself.

Jand

Jandus wrote:
There are many many threads on the Nvidia forums regarding this issue - the problem lies essentially in web browsing (centered usually around Firefox) with the 28x.xx drivers from Nvidia.

There are many workarounds to the issue:

1. Drivers previous to 28x.xx don't seem to have this problem. Try installing previous versions and see if it makes a difference.
2. Go into Firefox and turn off "Use Hardware Acceleration when Available"
3. Go into the Nvidia Control Panel and change your "Power Management Mode" to "Prefer Maximum Performance"

I did a TON of reading on the issue and it's most definitely the 28x.xx drivers centered around the 'newer' Nvidia chips (i.e. 460GTX, 560GTX, 580GTX, etc)

There's more info on the Nvidia forums (http://forums.nvidia.com) regarding the issue if you wanna check it for yourself.

Jand

I got the error while using firefox but other are reporting it with chrome as well.

I had done a ton of reading too but none of the workarounds seemed to be a permanent and certainly no fix, there are literally hundreds of these workarounds people have been reporting, however most of the time they come back a week later and report that the errors have started again... which is my biggest concern. Workarounds that last a week aren't really even workarounds.

My second biggest concern is that having to revert to an outdated driver version that doesn't run my games as well as the newest driver IS NOT something I should be having to deal with on a 5 day old machine...

Others are not having the problem on the 28X.XX so how can the issue lie solely in the driver?