cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G74SX-BBK8

Facus_GTti_
Level 7
My name is Facundo from Argentina.

As a friend who traveled to USA, I asked him to bring me a G74SX (Asus G74SX-BBK8)

The espeficifaciones are:

Processor Brand: Intel ® Core ™ i7-2670QM 2nd Gen processor
Processor Speed: 2.0GHz @ 3.1 Ghz
Display Type: Widescreen LED-backlit high-definition Screen Size (Measured diagonally) 17.3 "
System Memory (RAM): 8GB
Type of Memory (RAM) DDR3
Computer Hard Drive Size: 1TB
Optical Drive: Double-layer DVD ± RW / CD-RW
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 560M
Networking: Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Fast Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
Audio: 3D Audio with EAX Advanced HD 4.0
Speakers: Internal
USB 2.0 Ports: 3
USB 3.0 Ports: 1
Laptop Weight: Standard (More Than 5.5 lbs.)
HDMI Output: Yes
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Graphics Chip: NVIDIA
Wireless Capability: 4G WiMAX
Backlit Keyboard: Yes
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 560M

I wanted to know if anyone has this model BBK8 to see if it brings 560m as BBK8 128bit or 192bit brings in as the rest.

Sorry for my English, speak Spanish here in Argentina. And right now Translates with the application it google. 😉
17 REPLIES 17

dstrakele
Level 14
With 2 GB of graphics memory, it is 128 bit.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Sorry to bother you with another question ...

The information is official? Or guides you so you only saw in 1.5 and 3gb 192b / 128b in 2 and 4GB?

I ask for and purchased reference plates that were opposite to them. :mad:

fountainhead
Level 7
How does the lower bit rating actually affect the card? Is it just slower in general?
G74Sx-BBK8 BIOS 203
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

BrodyBoy
Level 10
That model is known to have 128bit.

Many people own the BBK8 model. They say it performs very well and they are very happy with it.

thank you very much

Search the forum but did not find data on the GTX560M, now only hope to receive BBK8. It's a shame to bring the 2670QM, since the bottleneck is on the VGA.

Thanks again

Hi. I just got a G74sx-BBK8 from Best Buy. The BBK7 went back 3 times for mobo, hard drive and keyboard lights. I believe the BBK8's have an updated CPU as the BBK7's had issues.
My questions are as follows.
The software and drivers that shipped with the BBK8 are just as confusing and seem the same as the BBK7.
Asus live update does not seem to work right. The options for check all and uncheck all don't work.
The software update manager finds nothing.
Any power options I make go back to default when I reboot.
It shipped with Bios version 202. So I flashed it to G74SxAS.203 using winflash.
Also, I made the recovery disks with the 202 bios. Do I need to make another set with the 203 bios?

Also, the esupport that comes with all those drivers and the Emanual is just for recovery use?
When I go to the Asus support page they have different versions of the Asus live update plus the current one on my system.
It also shipped with Nvidia 3D Vision which I don't have.

So in all, just leave it as is or can I remove some bloatware and update certain drivers?
The real pain in the neck is the power options.
Thanks in advance for the help.

CapnKerk wrote:
Hi. I just got a G74sx-BBK8 from Best Buy.
My questions are as follows.
The software and drivers that shipped with the BBK8 are just as confusing and seem the same as the BBK7.
Asus live update does not seem to work right. The options for check all and uncheck all don't work.
The software update manager finds nothing.

Asus Live Update is worthless. Uninstall it and install any needed updates manually.
Any power options I make go back to default when I reboot.
It shipped with Bios version 202. So I flashed it to G74SxAS.203 using winflash.
Also, I made the recovery disks with the 202 bios. Do I need to make another set with the 203 bios?
No, the BIOS doesn't affect the software installation. Can't answer about the power options.....that sounds like a Power4Gear issue.

Also, the esupport that comes with all those drivers and the Emanual is just for recovery use?
Not even that....it's all old drivers, so it's pretty much useless. I'm surprised you got that....it seems like most owners of BB models say they didn't get one.
When I go to the Asus support page they have different versions of the Asus live update plus the current one on my system.
Again, Asus Live Update is worthless. Uninstall the one you have and don't install any other version.
It also shipped with Nvidia 3D Vision which I don't have.
That's just built into the driver.

So in all, just leave it as is or can I remove some bloatware and update certain drivers?
The real pain in the neck is the power options.
Thanks in advance for the help.
I recommend you get rid of virtually all the Asus bloatware. And personally, I think Power4Gear should be on that list.

I have the bbk8, and I love it, except that my keyboard lights dont work no mores. but thats aside the point. to answer your question, the gfx card is the 128 bit card, however, i haven't had any hiccups with it at all. i can run battlefield 3 on max settings and still pull 30-40 fps. However, those with the non bestbuy model get the 192 bit which allows much more data do be transferred through the gpu than the 128 bit. some people notice, I haven't yet.

I could list the problems of the G74?

olounda wrote:
I have the bbk8, and I love it, except that my keyboard lights dont work no mores. but thats aside the point. to answer your question, the gfx card is the 128 bit card, however, i haven't had any hiccups with it at all. i can run battlefield 3 on max settings and still pull 30-40 fps. However, those with the non bestbuy model get the 192 bit which allows much more data do be transferred through the gpu than the 128 bit. some people notice, I haven't yet.

Thank you very much for the info ... Now I have to wait until December 15th to get my conclusions