cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Interesting Sleeping Problem

Shane01638
Level 7
My ASUS G73JW will go to sleep after a couple minutes when placed on it's side, plugged in, with the lid closed. The lid closed settings are correct and sleep is set to never when plugged in. If the laptop is lying flat it will stay on forever, but when it's on it's side...the side where the dvd drive is leaning up against something like a wall it will go to sleep. The fans start going really loudly then it sleeps. It wakes fine, but I don't want it to sleep like this. Does anyone else's do this?
ASUS G73JW
1920x1080 Glossy
120G OCZ Vertex 2 + 500G 7200 RPM HDD
i7-Q740
16G Ram
Intel Ultimate N 6300
NVIDIA Geforce GTX-460M
Blu-Ray Reader
2 REPLIES 2

dstrakele
Level 14
I could have sworn I saw that issue reported earlier. I thought it appeared in this thread: http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5396-Magnetic-sensor-switch-issue-on-Asus-G53SW-XN1-whe..., but I can't find it. It could've been in the Notebook Review Forum. I wonder if the magnetic switch has any bearing on this behavior?

Did you check how the system's lid power settings were configured in "Control Panel-Power Options" and even drill down into Advanced Power Settings to see if they matched those of Power4Gear?

If you uninstall P4G, does that resolve the issue?

Are you sure it is going to sleep and not actually overheating and shutting down. The high fan speeds before shutdown make me suspicious of overheating. You should be able to determine this by logging temperatures or looking in the System Event Log.

It's like shark behavior. When you turn them upside down, they go into a sleep-like state. Unlike my dog - when I turn her upside down, she attacks!
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

xeromist
I also remember reading this and I'm not on NBR much so it must be here.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…