cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme cooling socket insulation for Overclocking

V2-V3
Level 8
Phase Change Socket Insulation Methods:

1. Insert threaded rods into back plate with proper socket configuration, in this situation we will use the 1156 mounting hols

2. Place the first sheet of neoprene insulation on the back plate, cover the sheet with a little Vaseline

3. place the second sheep of neoprene on the back plate again with a little vaseline

4. Mount the backplate to the rear of the motherboard, make sure no solder points will make contact with the backplate and cause a short

5. Apply kneaded eraser around the CPU socket and pack tightly around the CPU, and Vregs to prevent moisture build up

6. Use painters tape or blue masking tape to seal moisture out of the CPU socket

7. Add the 1st layer of neoprene to the top of the CPU socket, add some Vaseline to the top of the neoprene

8. add the second layer of neoprene to the top of the socket

9. Mount the evaporator head, make sure the sides of evap enclosure slightly depresses into the neoprene and that there are no air gaps.
for insurance you can use Vaseline around the evap enclosure and top layer of neoprene to guarantee an airtight seal

6 REPLIES 6

Retired
Not applicable
travis I made this thread a sticky, hope you don't mind.

ottoyu34
Level 9
Nice guide, I'm sure a lot people wanted to know this.
Thanks

V2-V3
Level 8
Thanks for the sticky chew, I will be updating this thread with a more thorough content after Blizzcon

Kaboom
Level 8
Only you would be able to make this look easy, Travis. 😛 If only I had a phase unit sitting around my house... and a lot of moldable eraser, haha.

V2-V3
Level 8
I can make you a bench unit, its a great step to take when LN2 is not always available for you to bench.

V2-V3 wrote:
I can make you a bench unit, its a great step to take when LN2 is not always available for you to bench.

I strongly agree with this!