+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about the G74's second hdd bay

ROG Member Carlos_F +10

Question about the G74's second hdd bay

Hey everyone. I bought a used G74 off of someone that (unfortunately for them ) had to sell it because they needed money - the computer runs like new, but there is one issue with the second drive bay.

I understand that the bay requires a ribbon cable to daisychain the second drive, but I can't find any cable. Could the previous owner have removed it, or something similar? I installed my Crucial M4 ssd into the computer and it's a pain to only have 64gb to work with on a strong workhorse like this, so I'd really like to get the second drive installed.

ROG Guru: White Belt WhirledNews +10 WhirledNews's Avatar

I bought mine off of Newegg and it was the model with an empty bay, which I wanted for my SSD. Anyway, it came with the extra ribbon cable in the box, separate from the computer. Whoever you bought it from should have had it...

If you cant get it from them you can probably buy one from ASUS, shipping will be expensive though since you are in the US, good luck.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Boosted_R +10 Boosted_R's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhirledNews View Post
    I bought mine off of Newegg and it was the model with an empty bay, which I wanted for my SSD. Anyway, it came with the extra ribbon cable in the box, separate from the computer. Whoever you bought it from should have had it...
    Not really true..... there has been a bunch of people saying that they haven't gotten either HDD cable/HDD Caddy or both...... Its just depends really, its not something that comes 100% with the laptop..... I believe the E store will be updated with it soon, there are other treads on this forum with info also. GL
    ASUS G74SX-XC1
    Performance MX
    INTEL 7260 AC
    INTEL 330 SSD
    BIOS 203

ROG Guru: Black Belt BrodyBoy +20

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_F View Post
    I understand that the bay requires a ribbon cable to daisychain the second drive, but I can't find any cable. Could the previous owner have removed it, or something similar? I installed my Crucial M4 ssd into the computer and it's a pain to only have 64gb to work with on a strong workhorse like this, so I'd really like to get the second drive installed.
    It's not a daisy-chain setup, but you do need two components for the second drive: the SATA connector/PCB and the ribbon cable that goes to the M/B. You can order them from the Asus eStore, I believe, but one owner who recently tried was told they were not in stock, with no ETA. The Europe eStore lists them, but you'd have to check to confirm actual availability.

• The PCB for the second hard drive is Part #60-N56HD1000-02, and it's called the G74SX HDD BD./AS.
    • The cable is Part #14G124080160, and it's called the G74SX HDD FFC.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt dstrakele +75 dstrakele's Avatar

+1 Good info, Brody! You are the consummate hardware guy!
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    +1 Good info, Brody! You are the consummate hardware guy!
    Ha! Thanks for that, but it just happened to come up recently, so I happened to have it on hand already!

ROG Guru: Gold Belt dstrakele +75 dstrakele's Avatar

That's okay, I really wasn't able to increase your Rep Power anyway, since you were the last person I upped awhile back. So everything works out... ;>{)>
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    That's okay, I really wasn't able to increase your Rep Power anyway, since you were the last person I upped awhile back. So everything works out... ;>{)>
    I don't even know what rep power is, so I'll have take your word for it!

ROG Enthusiast ScottinSoCal +10

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_F View Post
    I ran into the same problem with mine. BrodyBoy found the parts numbers and listed them above. The ASUS estore doesn't have them right now, but they said they'd order some in and start stocking them. I'm in the same boat, with an SSD I bought sitting and gathering dust until I can get this cable to install it. They included the caddy (that the estore does sell) and didn't include the cable (that the estore didn't sell). Someone didn't quite think that one all the way through.

ROG Enthusiast thesting +10

Does it make a difference where you install the disk with the OS, primary or secondary bay?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast