cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Serviceable replacement parts

Pyro411
Level 7
Quick question really.

What Parts are Not able to be replaced by the end user without voiding warranty on the systems? I know every prior G Series laptop I've owned there's a void if removed sticker on the heat sink covering the CPU and was wondering really, does that pertain to certified computer technicians who replace the part at their place of employment?

The reason I'm wondering is I saw the i7-840QM has been released and has the same thermal rating as the i7-720QM which got me thinking about upgrade paths and what to squirrel my money away for after the new line of Intel Solid State drives comes out in the next few months.

Or is this more along the lines of me having to get my co-workers to fill out some paperwork to get us an authorized service center for Asus in our region?

And before I get supremely flamed for this post, Yes I know I own a gaming laptop and am using it at work and at home 🙂 Good Horse Power wonderful 1080 display and didn't hurt the pocket book as much as others would have.
6 REPLIES 6

Retired
Not applicable
Cpu would be a asus authorized only upgrade but the question is the dollar value vs performance increase worth it?

Pyro411
Level 7
Launch Price no, after a few price drops yes. Be it an intense game or just shaving some time off of loading building schematics or even encoding audio being able to squeak out more performance form a laptop without replacing the laptop is always nice.

Replacing a CPU isn't hard at all, mostly was wondering what if any stipulations there were to it such as sending it and the laptop to Asus with a service fee, or if sending pictures of the work area where I replace motherboards on customer laptops several times a week would be good enough.

If it's the first option... than I might do that when I've exhausted all options on getting the Digital audio out working over Fiber shared with the headphone jack. -- I've just had really bad luck with the RMA Process which I know isn't Asus' fault but it still sucked being without my primary laptop for that long of an extended period

Retired
Not applicable
You could give these guys a yell http://www.xoticpc.com/ as they do upgrades to g73jh's that they sell so might be able to do one as a service center. You trying to get toslink to work? But then again by time price drops on i7 chip your warrenty might be close to over anyway.

Pyro411
Level 7
Yep I'm working ongetting the Toslink working hell I've tried everything beyond breaking open the case to see if there's a solder joint that got missed or looked for a hacked firmware for it. I even saw the issue crop up on a few N71Jq laptops that passed through here, where Tosslink shows up in the Windows audio management but not the Realtek management and when activated as the primary audio output device it doesn't send squat.

As for the Warranty 🙂 2 year warranty & I purchased my G73 in May, so it'll only be half over by time I get close to upgrading most likely

Daedalus
Level 8
By the time that processor comes down in price to where it is where normal users can buy it the warranty will be out on most of these machines. Intel has not dropped there processor prices in a while. At least not enough to make a big change, But I guess it could happen.

I myself do not think you would gain enough in performance to justify upgrading . But this is to each user as what they feel is faster.

Pyro411
Level 7
Daedalus, when it comes to the warranty if you purchased a base model from BestBuy than the warranty is only a year, but if you purchased from Newegg or other online resellers generally you get 2 years directly from Asus.

As for the Processors you go from the following
720qm - 840qm
6mb cache - 8mb cache
1.6ghz - 1.86ghz -- Base Speed / Core
2.8ghz - 3.2ghz -- Turbo Speed / Core
$364 - $568 -- Current prices listed by Intel -- Probably MUCH cheaper from an OEM or online reseller if you know where to look.

But any true gamer knows any bit of performance increase helps give you an edge over your competition, and where it comes to the professional side of thing, when you can shave Seconds/minutes/hours off of a render or encode when upgrading easily replaceable items it's well worth it from a productivity standpoint.