cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notebook Shoppers Be Warned: Asus RMA : A Bad Experience

geek15
Level 7
Back in October of this year I began to notice that my N71-JQ would give me a green screen and then a blue screen of death when playing HD video. I purchased the unit just under a year ago. I looked into the System Event Log and determined the video driver was crashing. I have been able to confirm with someone owning the same model that they are running the same graphics driver version and do not experience the random shutdowns when playing HD video. I figured I would have to send it in for repair since the driver doesn't appear to be the issue and I already had re-installed my operating system (Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit). I called and was given an RMA # and instructions on where I needed to send the unit. After spending $30 my unit arrived in California. After a week or so I received an email indicating that my notebook had been shipped back to me. A few short days later I received the unit and found that the Mother Board had been replaced. I booted the unit up and shortly afterwards recreated my problem. I called and was given another RMA # and a Fedex RMA Code (to get a shipping label). The repair facility received my unit and would wait for parts for quite a while (at least a week) and finally around the 10th or 11th business day at the repair facility I received an email stating my unit was on the way back. Sure enough I get the unit back and found that the Mother Board was replaced again and my issue still existed. I then called and got a 3rd RMA # after speaking with a supervisor. Currently my unit remains at the repair facility as we approach the end of the 10-14 business day turn around time. Let me guess the Mother Board is going to be re-placed again and I will receive the unit back and still have the same problem. Now I have been without a computer for 3 months and yet Asus in unable to repair my unit. It appears that I have become part of the majority of people who seem to get their units back in the same or worst condition then when they sent it in. How long am I going to have to keep playing this game for another 3 months? If the Mother Board has been replaced twice already and I'm still having problems what are the chances that 3 Mother Boards are going to be defective? It appears that there are obvious improvements that Asus can make to better resolve issues with there customers. It would improve the confidence of potential buyers and customers alike. This would in-turn improve the future of the company as this is a very important part of how a company is looked at. Now that there are many companies making notebooks only the best will survive in both product and customer service. Perhaps testing the units before sending them back would be a good idea. I have been told a few times that my unit could be replaced if deemed unrepairable by the repair facility. Well at this point I think it might just be unrepairable. After all what more is there to replace? The Hard Drive, Memory, Processor, WLAN Card, Screen, Keyboard, Touch Pad, Case? If you are thinking about purchasing an Asus Notebook be sure to believe the feedback that other customers have given. If you are also experiencing a bad experience with Asus I encourage that you post about your experience.
55 REPLIES 55

geek15
Level 7
I just contacted support to check the status of my RMA. I was told that they are waiting for parts. This time they are waiting for a hard drive. What would the hard drive have to do with a video issue? Today's the 10th business day they have had my unit for my third RMA.

Update:
12/13: Apparently they are replacing both the Hard Drive and the Mother Board.
12/19: I have received my notebook back from the repair center. This time the Ethernet Adapter does not work and I'm in the process of testing the video.

Mason
Level 10
Sorry to hear about this ordeal. Please update us on the outcome of the video testing. I can help you with an RMA on January 9th. If you don't have the issue with the video anymore then hopefully we can get the Ethernet replaced and you'll be good to go.

chrsplmr
Level 18
OP: Please stop back to give us the happy ending to this story. It is coming.

Kipper
Level 10
The OP just wanted to slam ASUS, most likely has this same post all prepared to copy and paste for every forum he finds.

Nothing more than another form of Spam.

He received a response from one ASUS employee who definitely could have help him if he truly did have a legit problem.

chrsplmr
Level 18
all I know is... it gets resolved.... everytime. Every time.

Grnfinger
Level 8
I had a similar issue with a Maximus X38 board.. Asus had it forever, sent me 2 faulty boards.
Finally Mason Winner ( yea for Mason) Upgraded me to a Maximus II Formula P45 board.
I honestly wanted my X38 SE board back but happy with the upgrade none the less. Even tho my X38 SE clocked better.

I hear people all over forums bash Asus for RMA, clearly they have never dealt with Gigabyte's RMA policy
I tried to buy a EVGA board, had it loaded in my cart ready to check out... when suddenly a wierd feeling came over me. I felt dirty in need of a shower, the filth was so bad. I quickly realized what I did and cleared my cart and bought a Maximus IV. I have never been more sastified.
4770K@4500mhZ
Asus Maximus VI Hero
2x Sapphire Tahiti core 7870 Crossfire @ 1150/1500
8GB Patriot Viper @ 1866MHz
Intel 520 SSD - 2x1TB Raid0 - 2TB WD Green
Corsair AX860i
Cosmos S Custom
H20 Cooling

chrsplmr
Level 18
wow...excellent story....except for the shower...ahhahahaaa

I have yet to see an issue once brought to light not be resolved as quickly as humanly possible.
and you said a mouthful when you called out Mason's name....indeed.
You have found what all find..if you simply state your issue..you will find they, he wants
it resolved the same as you....
as kipper points out... its a form of spam..from the comp...they cant beat it...so they lip it..hahahha
and leave their slobber all over the net...come here...find the TRUTH.

So glad you didnt settle for 2nd or 3rd best (what are they now)..no matter...we ROG.c.

chrsplmr wrote:
I have yet to see an issue once brought to light not be resolved as quickly as humanly possible.

I see @geek15 is now in his 4th month on his 4th RMA for a 4th motherboard replacement to resolve his initial video issue.

I can't see how this is being resolved as quickly as humanly possible.

Look at the numbers - 3 faulty motherboards in a row? Where is the "rock solid" ASUS hardware?

@geek15 has a legitimate beef and his post "Notebook Shoppers Be Warned: Asus RMA: A Bad Experience" is not a flame, but a valid warning.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Grnfinger
Level 8
been a loyal Asus customer for many many years. Could not let this thread go without posting.

Mason was fantastic, he spoke with me many times. He took the time to setup a test board and used all my settings to reproduce the issues.
Guys like Mason is what makes Asus support one of the best. They care and actually try to help.
I was offered a choice of 3 boards to upgrade to... who does that??? Usually your told how its going to be.
4770K@4500mhZ
Asus Maximus VI Hero
2x Sapphire Tahiti core 7870 Crossfire @ 1150/1500
8GB Patriot Viper @ 1866MHz
Intel 520 SSD - 2x1TB Raid0 - 2TB WD Green
Corsair AX860i
Cosmos S Custom
H20 Cooling