cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Bios Option for SSD 1st bot on ROG GR8

Chan82
Level 7
Added a 250GB SSD on the expansion SATA while the origin 1TB HDD still in default SATA.

Cloned the OS from HDD to SSD without any problem however there is no option on Bios for chosing the 1st boot from expansion SATA

Everytime I have to run the windows from origin HDD which is meaningless for us.....

So the only way I could do is to clean install windows on SSD & format the original HDD?

Please also confirm if the OEM key already "makred" on the motherboard which mean I can use Microsoft Media Creat Tool to reinstall windows and no need to enter any key?

Thanks in advance for all the suggesstion.
10 REPLIES 10

InfernoStorm
Level 10
Chan82 wrote:
Added a 250GB SSD on the expansion SATA while the origin 1TB HDD still in default SATA.

Cloned the OS from HDD to SSD without any problem however there is no option on Bios for chosing the 1st boot from expansion SATA

Everytime I have to run the windows from origin HDD which is meaningless for us.....

So the only way I could do is to clean install windows on SSD & format the original HDD?

Please also confirm if the OEM key already "makred" on the motherboard which mean I can use Microsoft Media Creat Tool to reinstall windows and no need to enter any key?

Hey Chan,

I don't own the GR8 but in some BIOS it only allows you to select general boot order of devices so the system will only boot the first device it detects for each of those categories. I know it's unlikely that you missed this but there might be another option to choose the boot order for the hard drives.
Anyways just a suggestion, if I owned a ROG GR8 I would definitely test and find out for you on how to resolve this issue. You should also consider contacting ASUS support directly for a solution if no one else responds to this thread.

Regarding the other thing about the CD key, normally if you previously installed the Windows OS using the same key on that system, even if you reinstall your system it should activate without issues. I verified this many times, I did a full wipe of the hard drive and reinstalled but the key was activated once I connected to the internet. When I install the Windows OS on a different system, I always need to use the automated phone system to activate.

Cheers.

InfernoStorm
Level 10
Chan82 wrote:

Hey Chan,

I don't own the GR8 but in some BIOS it only allows you to select general boot order of devices so the system will only boot the first device it detects for each of those categories. I know it's unlikely that you missed this but there might be another option to choose the boot order for the hard drives.

If I owned a ROG GR8 I would definitely test and find out for you on how to resolve this issue. You should also consider contacting ASUS support directly for a solution if no one else responds to this thread.

Regarding the other thing about the CD key, normally if you previously installed the Windows OS using the same key on that system, even if you reinstall your system it should activate without issues. I verified this many times, I did a full wipe of the hard drive and reinstalled but the key was activated once I connected to the internet. When I install the Windows OS on a different system, I always need to use the automated phone system to activate.

Cheers.

InfernoStorm wrote:
Hey Chan,

If I owned a ROG GR8 I would definitely test and find out for you on how to resolve this issue. You should also consider contacting ASUS support directly for a solution if no one else responds to this thread.

Cheers.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I really try different boot options on the bios but all fail to boot from the SSD. Actually I have tried to contact the ASUS support but all of them told us adding "another device" (SSD) is out of their support....

Also thanks for your reply about the CD key. I will try to clean install the windows 8.1 which is the best way to solve the problem (I don't think the bios will boot the HDD which without the OS).

InfernoStorm
Level 10
No problem 🙂

Chan82
Level 7
Finally everything is solved by the Clean Install.

The only trouble is Win8.1 does not have the driver for the Wifi adapter and I need t odownload from Asus official website by another notebook.

Meanwhile, the CS from ASUS Taiwan told me the following may workable for changing the 1st boot device :

CSM Parameters => Launch CSM => Enable

Boot Device Control=>UEFI and Legacy OpROM

Security Boot Parameters=>OS Type =>Other Legacy & UEFI

Hope it would be helpful for others

Chan82 wrote:
Finally everything is solved by the Clean Install.

The only trouble is Win8.1 does not have the driver for the Wifi adapter and I need t odownload from Asus official website by another notebook.

Meanwhile, the CS from ASUS Taiwan told me the following may workable for changing the 1st boot device :

CSM Parameters => Launch CSM => Enable

Boot Device Control=>UEFI and Legacy OpROM

Security Boot Parameters=>OS Type =>Other Legacy & UEFI

Hope it would be helpful for others

This was helpful for me, thanks for posting. How did you do the clean install? Via USB recovery? If not, can you post instructions?

Hi Chan82,

I am having the same issue with you had previously. Trying very hard to find out how to install Windows in new SSD drive (GR8 model) and boot from there.....

Could I ask more specially how to Clean install? Can we Reset this PC and set to install Windows in SSD drive??

Thanks in advance!!

hi Chan82,
can you help me to solve the same your problem.
can you tell me what is CSM? and Clean Install?
i have cloned the ssd with paragon software.
this method works with the new ssd?
thank you very much for your reply!!

Bellecca
Level 7
Someone can help me to solve the problem.