Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Impact Was flooded....

old5ql
Level 7
HI!
My first post on this forum.
Own VI impact month ago with RAIJINTEK Triton Complete Water Cooling Kit - 240mm , VGA 650GS, Kingston 128GB M.2. SSD and Sharkoon QB ONE
Left from old set-up ==> RAM Patriot 2x8GB, i5-4670K, GTX770
Everything was great until 2 weeks ago this happen....
see crack on CPU block
since then motherboard crashed, not responding on power button. no post commands... no lights...
CPU, RAM working great. Don't know nothing about M.2 SSD, can be damaged?
Get refund from seller for water cooling but waiting on shot from RAIJINTEK on question what about my damaged board.
Any chances to get £ back?
And last question, is it really required to cool down power section after OC? When i was playing, piece of steal on it nearly burn my skin from fingers. Thinking about Noctua NH-C14 W'll fit in that Sharkoon?

THX.
9 REPLIES 9

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmmm sorry to see that....hope these companies that do AIO coolers do the decent thing when their stuff leaks and kills hardware...

Glad CPU etc working

Last point...yes....have to cool VRMs especially when OCing....needs active cooling or you can have problems and throttling...

Korth
Level 14
How did that plastic crack, do you know?

A spontaneous unexplained failure? A sharp drop or impact? Continuous strain on the part from a slightly-too-tight fit? Damage caused by a bit of momentary bending while installing/removing some other piece of hardware?

Do you blame Raijintek? Poor design or poor quality or anything?

Just curious, mainly because (while I haven't used that product) I've only had good experiences with the brand. Sorry about your loss, at a glance that mobo looks like a writeoff. 😞
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

old5ql
Level 7
I think that was spontaneous failure of acrylic. Everything was assembling on carpet 😉 . Radiator outside of case, so kit has enough space to breathe. Time to time was checking VRM temp. by finger touching maybe pushing CPU block don't know. Crack appear on liquid way in, not next to the fittings...
Just send another email to them with question and pictures about my loss...
Due to m.2 ssd have to spend another 100£+ on board.
W'll post respond from Raijintek.
... any cheaper board with m.2. + OC 4670K + NH-C14 worth too look at? Or wait till Skylake w'll came out with new boards...?

Ntwlf
Level 12
Hi old5ql,

You can attempt to clean the mobo as to resurrect it. There may not be a permanent failure, just the coolant conducting current across traces causing a failure to boot.

I have successfully cleaned a few mobo's of dust, sticky film, etc. using medical isopropyl alcohol. You will want to use 90% grade or higher.
Start with the bare mobo as it was originally when removed from packaging, remove the heatsink below cpu socket, the CMOS battery and then place the mobo in a plastic bowl of sorts so the lower end with the coolant staining is down into the bowl and the other end is sticking upwards out of the bowl.

Now for the isopropyl alcohol cleaning. Take an empty (clean) sprayer bottle like a "Windex Glass Cleaner" bottle and fill it with the isopropyl alcohol. Turn the nozzle to the Stream selection and spray on to the coolant stains, washing it downwards into the bowl. I like to use a small, soft paint brush (soaked with the isopropyl alcohol) to lightly scrub across the mobo to clean it as well. After the light scrubing, give it a good wash/rinse down with the spray. Now the mobo needs to be dried off. Compressed air would be good if available. A hair dyer will work as well. Either one, be carefull as to not bump/hit anything on the mobo. Or just hang it up in the air with string threaded through a couple of mounting holes in the mobo to allow it to air dry for a day or two. If compressed air or a hair dryer is used, the mobo should be hung by string to air dry as well for a day.

Now that it's dry go ahead and assemble and test. Hopefully it will work again...worth a try.

I have cleaned a few mobo's with isopropyl alcohol without any problems, but they were already working before though. Don't be concerned about this method as I have submerged the entire mobo's in isopropyl alcohol during cleaning without ill effects.

note: It's not good to assemble anything electronic on carpet due to static electricity. If concerned about a HARD table top surface, use a large piece of cardboard as the buffer.
But then again, you may just have been implying you were testing the cooling system only...then disregard;).

whatsapp
Level 7
I agree

old5ql
Level 7
THX guys for all input. W'll try to clean it on proper way as Ntwlf said.

old5ql
Level 7
So ... I'am back. Two days ago I left my board in bowl for about 2-3 hours. Was dead anyway... never before did such a thing for electronic device.. Level of water was bit higher than start button. Let it dry out for 36 hours. After few email's RAIJINTEK decide to send me replacement after inspect my board... Today I prepare box, extra air pillows and decide to try one last time to be 100% sure my maximus not working. First attempt with no CPU. WTF?! Board start post numbers on back and begin booting....... HELL YYYYEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHH. Assembled all PC and booom working. Big thx to ===> Ntwlf. Wish to buy You bottle of vodka man. 😄
For me Asus with all ROG line component proved high quality their products.
Thx.

Korth
Level 14
Slightly off-topic, sorry ...

Could a dielectric fluid like Midel 7131 function well as a coolant?

People have already used it for total-immersion builds. The entire computer - including motherboard and PSU - can be safely immersed while powered (even though some people overcautiously refuse to immerse their PSUs). Only a few components - things like barometrically sealed magnetic HDD platters and BT/WiFi antennae - won't function properly in such a fluid. Non-toxic, non-corrosive, non-flammable, non-staining, safe on all plastics, biodegradable, sealed non-perishable shelf life of years, proven across industrial applications for over a decade - it's basically magical liquid perfection. About $8 per liter (albeit sometimes hard to obtain in North America), about the same price as many PC coolants.

I admit I don't really know much about refrigerant chemistry, what property makes a good coolant more efficient than a poor coolant? I can't imagine Midel 7131 being too bad in this application, though, at the worst extreme it can't be much worse than plain water. Your pump might run dry and your CPU/GPU blocks might quickly reach thermal shutdown, but you wouldn't need to worry about combining liquid ions and electricity ...

Just a thought. Maybe unworkable, maybe not.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Ntwlf
Level 12
Hi old5ql,

You are very welcome, and am very happy that the isopropyl alcohol cleaning saved your mobo. I've found this method a while back when searching for the best way to clean mobo's. About once a year or so I disassemble my computers and give them a good cleaning as well as a repasting of thermal compound to heatsinks, it a kind of preventative maintenance. Of course they get a good de-dusting every month or so as well.

To Korth,

Could a dielectric fluid like Midel 7131 function well as a coolant?

I did a brief check on the site you linked, noting the intended application and particularly the viscosity of the Synthetic Ester Oil.

Typical application: High voltage power distribution transformers with voltages up to 238kV...that's 238,000 volts!
There's absolutely no concern of submerging a psu along with the mobo.

Midel 7131 Viscosity: Kinematic Viscosity at 40°C is 29.
Mineral Oil Viscosity: Kinematic Viscosity at 40°C is 12. (mineral oil is the primary ingredient in Baby Oil)
Water Viscosity: Kinematic Viscosity at 40°C is 0.658

Note: the higher the number, the thicker the fluid.

The viscosity of a fluid is its resistance to shear or flow, and is a measure of the fluids adhesive/cohesive or frictional properties. The viscosity will arise due to internal molecular friction within a fluid producing the frictional drag effect.

Midel 7131 is an excellent choice as a submersion fluid, but using it in a cooling loop (ie: radiator, water blocks, etc.) presents a problem in regards to flowing/pumping through the system. First off the pump will have to be more robust, as in pumping a higher pressure, and the cooling blocks will need to be less restrictive in order to have adequate coolant flow. I suspect a thicker high flow radiator will be needed as well.

So with the higher viscosity alone, presents more problems then the gain of not having to replace the fluid for the lifetime of the cooling loop or worry about getting a leak onto pc components.

I've researched a while back for an ideal coolant for liquid cooled engines (ie: automobiles, motorcycles, etc.), and found that nothing comes close to water alone for it's thermal properties as in absorbing heat and releasing it, low viscosity so as not to need a powerful pump to move it, and not be flammable.:eek:

So it looks like water based coolant is the only viable solution at present.