cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G501 Gaming Performance feedback

animaSola
Level 7
Hey Guys, I'm a little disappointing with the frame rates I'm getting as they are not close to what I've seen in other reviews. I've so far checked my frame count using ShadowPlay and for Battlefield 3 I get these averages:

Ultra - 18 fps
High - 28 fps
Medium - 50 fps

It's kinda disappointing since notebookcheck shows really high frame rates (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-960M-Review.137893.0.html) as well as this video review of a Lenovo Y50 (also has the 960m): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thR4F8vpSgU which plays Battlefield 4 at really decent frame rates (ultra at around 30 fps, high at almost 60 fps).

Is this just a case of Battlefield 4 being more optimized? I was under the assumption that Battlefield 3 would require less of my GPU and thus put out better frame rates.

Anyone else have similar experiences?
7 REPLIES 7

dienow
Level 7
all the reviews are on Full HD (1920x1080) did u aleardy set the application to run on nvidia and change the battery plan to High Performance? and change the resolution on the game?
and the frames exactly more or less like the review that u post .

animaSola
Level 7
No, not really. From the video review you can see his frame rates are as follows:

Ultra: 25 - 40 fps
High: 45 - 55 fps
Medium: 55 - 80 fps

On mine I can get Ultra as low as 18 fps. Then again, I'm playing Battlefield 3 and he has BF4. But shouldn't older games, in general, be less resource heavy and therefore have higher frame rates?

I've also played FIFA 15 on high settings with 4x AA but just have around 50 fps on average whereas notebookcheck says it should go beyond 100. During replays, and free kicks, frame rates drop significantly to around 15 - 20.

I want to get others views on their gaming experience.

dienow
Level 7
Can u test benchmark on the another game?
i guess its the game itself bugged maybe .

hmm strange. can u try using only discrete (nvidia only) ?

maybe the game uses the Intel HD 4600? as far as i can tell your perfomance is the same on fifa 15 .

animaSola
Level 7
By performance on FIFA15 you mean my frame rates are normal for a 960M? And no I'm pretty sure I updated the global settings to use my Nvidia card for most apps and even tried manually using the 960m when opening Battlefield as I'm pretty sure the Intel could never handle it on FHD even on low.

animaSola
Level 7
Ok, just got a notification on Nvidia that an updated driver has been released (in preparation for Win10 I guess), the 353.62. Hope this improves it.

animaSola
Level 7
Ok this looks awesome, I updated my drivers to 353.62 and the framerates skyrocketed! Here's what I'm getting right now for Battlefield 3:

Ultra: 35 - 55 fps
High: 55 - 65 fps
Medium: 60 - 65 fps

It's weird that it rarely goes over 60 fps, must be a setting that locks it to that but it on high and medium it does spike to around 65 sometimes. Really happy right now and will check other games. 🙂

dienow
Level 7
yeah that answers a lot if you are using a stock driver . that means any new users should update the nvidia driver first when they use it ,

im glad it work then .

because i never actualy use the stock driver , i update it immediatly lol.