cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suitable KVM For ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q

EmeraldAegis
Level 7
Hi All,

I need a kvm for this monitor. The two devices I want to use the kvm with are my macbook air (with a thunderbolt displayport) and my pc, which runs a GTX 980 gfx card. I had looked at several options and settled on this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003OCRWCK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

It supports the resolution I want, but not the refresh rate, which I'm not too bothered about. I bought this the other day, but couldn't get it to work. I tested the various cables with the monitor and gfx card alone just to make sure the cables were working. I also tried to connect the KVM and cables to the monitor in different orders (I guessed that the sequence of steps is important, i.e. switch all machine, connect display port cables to kvm, etc). However, none of that worked. I'm probably going to give this back.

I've used KVMs in the past and never had this kind of problem before, so I'm surprised this has happened.

Does anyone have any experience with using a KVM with this monitor? Can anyone recommend one to me for this monitor and gfx combo?

Cheers
Jaz
1 REPLY 1

Korth
Level 14
Check this thread, some good KVMs are mentioned.

I don't know anything about your monitor. But my GTX980 cards and ROG Swift monitor can run at up to 144Hz.

KVM specs should list maximum supported resolution and HDMI/DisplayPort revision (which determines the maximum signal bandwidth). Most of the best KVMs support full HD and HDMI1.4/DisplayPort1.2a = a maximum signal width of 1920x1080 resolution @ 60Hz. I have found only one KVM product (so far) which supports higher, but it has a ridiculous price tag (costs more than another high-end monitor plus keyboard). Sorry to report that KVMs are a low-demand niche item which haven't really caught up with top-performing display technologies.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]