cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JH-A2 GPU Overheating...

tdude51
Level 7
The Radeon Mobility 5870HD in my G73JH-A2 will overheat and cause my computer to shut down while playing games. I am certain that this is being caused by my GPU. I have run temperature monitoring and logging in GPU-Z and it shows that my computer shut down when the temperature of the GPU reached 110 degrees Celcius while I was playing Team Fortress 2. I have also run the Furmark benchmarking utility with a GPU temperature display enabled. When the temperature reaches 110 degrees Celcius, the computer shuts down. I am running the computer on the High Performance power setting with TwinTurbo mode OFF and AC power connected in a room at normal room temperature.

Is there any chance that this could be fixed by the vBIOS update, or will I have to get an RMA?
13 REPLIES 13

Retired
Not applicable
Yes it may. Also after you do vbios go to www.ati.com and update drivers to the new 10.10. Make sure your bios is 209 or higher Brian@asus says to run the 209 over the 211 as he says it is more stable. Video of how to load vbios http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?519-G73-GSOD-Vbios-Update .

tdude51
Level 7
Well, I contacted ASUS support yesterday with a nearly identical message as my first post, and they told me to update my BIOS to 211 and my ATI drivers to 10.10. I had already upgraded my BIOS from stock to 209 to fix the Fn+Esc problem, and I already updated them from 209 to 211 to see if it would help my overheating problem before I ever posted here or contacted ASUS. So since I already had BIOS 211 I just updated my ATI drivers to 10.10.

Now, instead of overheating and shutting down in Furmark, the computer will crash in a variety of ways...sometimes the screen will flicker and go black (with the computer still running, unlike the overheating).Other times my screen will magically become covered in striped lines of any variation of two colors (red and orange, light gray and dark gray). I'm guessing these are variants of the "GSOD" problem, which is why I always avoided upgrading from 9.12 ATI drivers to any others in the first place. It seems like the ASUS tech only made my problems worse.

My last option seems to be flashing the vBIOS or getting an RMA. Obviously I'd rather not get an RMA, especially since I need the laptop for schoolwork. Will flashing my vBIOS void my warranty? Also, any other suggestions for my dillema?

Thanks for your help, fellow gamers. I really appreciate it!

Retired
Not applicable
yes please flash your Vbios and stick with 209, seems to be better than the 211.

Brian@ASUS wrote:
yes please flash your Vbios and stick with 209, seems to be better than the 211.

Is flashing back to 209 as simple as running the EZ Flash utility and selecting the 209 BIOS, just like I did when upgrading it?

Also, will flashing the vBIOS void my warranty?

Thank you very much.

Retired
Not applicable
could someone kindly link me to the BIOS 209, i did a search, no success. TY

*EDIT im trying to fix the overheating as well, My g/f bought this laptop about 5 months ago it still has the 204 bios and shuts off during all types of gaming. I have the Video on how to flash the vbios and i took note about the ATI 10.10 drivers, i found a post about the bios on another forum site but it was for 209BETA and its a few months old.. is the 209BETA Bios the one i want or is there just a "regular" 209? either way i cant find it lol. also, is there any specific order that i should follow.. like bios, vbios then 10.10 drivers? etc etc..

Retired
Not applicable
For the vbios update just follow the instructions here.
http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?519-G73-GSOD-Vbios-Update

itll work fine with 211, but just preferred with 209.

you can search for the bios here:
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

tdude51
Level 7
Wow...great news!

I flashed my BIOS back to 209, updated the vBIOS following the tutorial, and kept my ATI drivers at 10.10. And everything works great and doesn't overheat! I was able to run furmark at fullscreen 1080p with 8xMSAA and it never went above 108 degrees! Before it used to go right up to 110 and shut down in a matter of seconds. But now, I left it running for 5 minutes and it stayed between 105 and 108 the whole time! Thank you so much for your help everybody, I really appreciate it. It's a shame ASUS tech support isn't this good. They wanted me to get an RMA already!

Retired
Not applicable
Glad it all worked out for you.

Retired
Not applicable
You said you play TF2 i have had this prob b4 when I was playing Sniper Ghost Warrior (steam) so I RMA got it back with only the back light on keyboards not working I booted up Crysis and had no probs tried SGW and no probs but this weekend I tried portal for 1st time since I got it back (which I was playing at same time as SGW) and its started doing it again... So I conclude that steam must be doing something but does anyone know what?